Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Ina's Herb-Roasted Turkey Breast

Turkey isn't just for Thanksgiving. A whole turkey breast cooks in less time than a whole bird does and you can do quite a bit with the left-overs. This recipe from Ina Garten is full of fantastic flavor which comes from the herb and garlic rub that is put under the skin as well as rubbed over it. A mixture of garlic, rosemary, sage and thyme as well as a few other ingredients gives this turkey breast personality! I've made this recipe several times and my husband and I always enjoy it. It is my favorite way to prepare turkey now. This Herb-Roasted Turkey Breast is wonderful for leftovers too.

Leftovers are delicious used in sandwiches, or can be used in any recipe where cooked chicken is used. This is just your average supermarket whole turkey breast, that when prepared this way, will give you a fantastic dish for your family or guests. I wanted to make this last week before the weather got too much warmer. I hate heating up the kitchen after it turns warm outside. I hope you will give this recipe a try.

Herb-Roasted Turkey Breast
slightly adapted from Ina Garten
Hint: Use fresh herbs for maximum flavor! I have used dried thyme, but the rosemary and sage are best fresh, in my opinion.

Ingredients:
1 whole bone-in turkey breast 6-7 pounds
1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
2 teaspoons dry mustard
1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
1 tablespoon fresh sage, chopped
1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 cup chicken broth (recipe calls for wine)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Place turkey breast skin side up on a rack in your roasting pan.

In a small bowl, mix together the mustard, garlic, herbs, salt, pepper, lemon juice and olive oil. Loosen the skin carefully from the meat of the turkey. ( Take your fingers and just carefully push underneath the skin to loosen all the way to the back.) With your fingers, gently smear half of the herb mixture underneath the skin. Pat skin back in place and then rub remaining herb mixture over the skin. Pour the chicken broth into the bottom of the roasting pan.

Roast the turkey breast, uncovered for 1 3/4 to 2 hours, or until an instant read thermometer inserted at the thickest part of the meat reads 165 degrees F., and the skin is golden. If the skin is getting too brown, cover loosely with foil. When turkey is done, remove from oven, and let meat rest for 15-20 minutes. Slice and serve with the pan juices spooned over the meat.
NOTE: I let the meat rest about 30  minutes this time, so that I could remove one half of the breast from the bone. To do that, take a boning knife and cut done the middle of the breast next to the bone. Cut down as far as you can. With fingers of the other hand, pull the meat back from the bone and cut down the rib cage. You will be able to remove the side in one large piece. Then, slice the meat as shown in my picture and place on a platter. Enjoy!



7 comments:

  1. It is interesting how I would prefer a turkey roast, any day, over a whole turkey. This is right up my alley.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Ina's recipes..this looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicious! Love turkey breast and leftovers are definitely great for sandwiches!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i just love the scent of rosemary (in food, that is--it seems weird in beauty products!). this is a simple, classic case of deliciousness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, I don't like rosemary in beauty products either.

      Delete
  5. I made Ina's herb-roasted turkey breast for dinner last night. This is the second time I've done it. It is an easy recipe to execute and the turkey is juicy, flavorful, really cost effective (considering the extra left-over meals) and delicious, delicious, delicious! I highly recommend it! As we don't use alcohol in my household, I substitute two cups of a great turkey stock concentrate (just add water) I found at Williams-Sonoma for the white wine. I intend to make this dish a part of our ongoing food repertoire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you loved this recipe! It is our favorite way to prepare turkey now, and like you we don't use alcohol in our home either. Chicken broth is a preferred replacement I think. Thanks for the comment !

      Delete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!