Sunday, April 1, 2012

Fresh Broccoli and Califlower Salad


My husband wanted me to make this salad last week, so it was an opportunity to re post this recipe that was one of my firsts posts when I started my blog. This is another delicious old recipe from years ago. My grandmother introduced this wonderful, fresh salad to us and it became a most requested dish at our family gatherings, especially Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas. If you don't like uncooked veggies, you may not want to read further, but we love our fresh, crisp veggies here. This Broccoli and Cauliflower Salad is dressed in a tasty ranch style dressing and stays crisp for a couple of days. It makes a good sized salad though, so it's perfect when you need to feed a crowd. Whenever I make it, I think of my sweet, wonderful grandmother, who lived to be 92 years old. I feel so blessed to have had my grandmother for so many years and to have so many wonderful memories of her. We will always enjoy this salad of hers. I hope some of you will give it a try also.

Fresh Broccoli and Cauliflower Salad
From Lynda's Recipe box and my grandmother

1 head of cauliflower, cored and cut into florets
1 large head of broccoli, cut into florets(bite size pieces)
2 carrots, peeled and sliced thin
1 red onion, diced-or I like to use Vidalia onion when available
1 green bell pepper, large dice
2 stalks celery, sliced- I don't always use this
1 8 ounce carton of sour cream- I use low fat
1 cup mayo-I actually measure the mayo into the empty sour cream container, just like my grandma did
1 package Hidden Valley dressing mix-the dry mix

Cut all vegetables into a large bowl. Mix sour cream, mayo and dry Hidden Valley  dressing mix in a bowl. Add dressing to vegetables and stir until well incorporated. The dressing will be thick at first. Keep refrigerated. Will stay fresh for a couple of days. Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. I love recipes that have a history like this. Your Grandmother would be proud. I hope someday my grandchildren will make my recipes. It is a way to keep the memories alive. This sounds similar to the broccoli and bacon salad, but with a twist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely retro, Lynda! I remember this recipe, but haven't made it in ages. I've always thought we should make a booklet with nothing but old family recipes in it, so nothing is lost.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a great recipe. I think I'll make it for Easter when all the family gets together.

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!