Sunday, March 18, 2012

Brown Sugar Cookies

 Chewy, crisp, rich, sweet and addictive. That's how I describe these wonderful cookies from Cook's Illustrated. These humongous cookies really are crisp on the outside, but chewy in the middle. Made with dark brown sugar and BROWNED butter, they have an almost butterscotch flavor. The recipe makes 24 very large cookies, so next time I may make them a bit smaller as they are so rich. The recipe may be more detailed than some cookie recipes, but Cook's always strives for the best! I was concerned whether my husband would like them, but, "Wow these are good!", were the first words out of his mouth after his first bite. I tried making this recipe my own, but really could not improve on it at all. I tried adding caramel chips, but too sweet. The only adaption I ended up liking was adding cinnamon to the sugar that the cookies are rolled in. After all, cinnamon and brown sugar are made for each other, in my opinion. Even so, the cookies are perfect without it. Hope you'll give these a try!
Brown Sugar Cookies
Only slightly adapted from Cook's Illustrated
NOTES: The recipe says to place 12 cookies on cookie sheet and bake, but they really spread out. Nine worked best for me, even though I used large pans.
Do not use nonstick skillet for the browned butter. You won't be able to judge the color of the butter.
Use only soft, fresh dark brown sugar. Dry sugar will give you dry cookies.


14 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 cups packed, dark brown sugar, divided
2 cups unbleached, all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon table salt
1 large egg
1 egg yolk
1 tablespoon vanilla -yes, that's right
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, optional- my addition

1. Melt 10 tablespoons of the butter in a skillet over medium heat. When melted, swirl the butter around until it is golden, with brown bits in it, about 1-3 minutes. Pour the melted butter into a heat proof container. Add the remaining 4 tablespoon of butter to the melted butter to melt. Let cool about 15 minutes.
2. Place your oven rack in the middle position in oven. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper. Mix the granulated sugar and 1/4 cup of the dark brown sugar in a bowl. Add the cinnamon, if using.
Whisk together the flour, baking soda and baking powder in a bowl.
3. Add the remaining 1 3/4 cup dark brown sugar and the salt, to the melted browned butter and mix well until there are no lumps. Add the egg, egg yolk and vanilla and stir. Add the flour mixture and mix until just combined. Divide the dough into 24 even portions (about 2 tablespoons). Roll into even sized balls. Roll each ball in the reserved sugar mixture. Place 2 inches apart on baking sheets.
Bake each pan for 12-14 minutes until the edges of the cookies begin to look set. Rotate the pan halfway through baking. The middle should still look undercooked. Remove from the oven and let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for about4- 5 minutes. Then remove the cookies to cooking racks. Don't over bake if you want chewy cookies. Enjoy!

10 comments:

  1. Browned butter always gets my attention. What a beautiful, satisfying cookie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. your simple addition of cinnamon takes these from grand to outstanding. thanks for sharing this winning recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, wow! I'm going to print this off to try...yum!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These really look delicious.My grandsons will love them. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. When all is said and done, this is my favorite kind of cookie. Simple and lots of flavor. There isn't anything better with a cup of tea. Printed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great combination of ingredients. Love the large dose of Vanilla.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can you roll and cut out these cookies?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't think so, as the dough is very soft and buttery. And I think it would be easier to just roll the dough into balls and then in the sugar. They spread out a lot.

      Delete
  8. The brown sugar and vanilla sold me and then you added cinnamon. Oh my. I think, I could become addicted to brown sugar and cinnamon. This cookie has to be baked.

    Would you link this up to Bake with Bizzy? I would love to share it with more people.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm in agreement that browned butter caught my attention. I usually make these (http://badtadmd.com/?p=392) because they're more buttery and rich than a regular sugar cookie. I can't wait to try your recipe!

    Thanks for sharing!

    Hilary

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!