Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Classic Coconut Cream Pie

If you love pie and coconut, then this creamy Coconut Cream Pie is for you. The creamy filling is chock full of toasted coconut, and then the pie is topped with fluffy golden meringue. I almost swooned the first time I tasted it two or three years ago. My husband loves it as much as I  do.
If meringue isn't your thing, then just top the pie with some homemade whipped cream and sprinkle on some more toasted coconut. Delicious! The filling is sweet, creamy and holds together well. Sometimes the filling in cream pies will be runny, but not this one. I have reduced the coconut used in the filling just a bit. I don't make this wonderful pie very often, because of it's addictive nature. So, it's best made when you can share with others. Hope you'll give it a try.
Coconut Cream Pie
Slightly adapted from Emeril Lagasse
Notes: Be sure to bake the pie shell in advance, so that it will be completely cool when you are ready to add the filling. I baked my own pie crust, but you are free to use purchased pie crust.

Ingredients:
1 blind baked 9 inch pie shell- cooled completely
2 1/4 cups whole milk, separated
3/4 cup granulated sugar, plus 1/4 cup used in meringue
3 eggs separated-egg yolks used in filling, whites in meringue
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups lightly toasted coconut*
1 tablespoon butter- I use salted butter
pinch if cream of tarter

* To Toast the coconut: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place coconut on baking sheet in thin layer. Bake in the oven, stirring every minute until coconut is lightly golden in color. Will take 4-5 minutes. Cool completely before adding to the pie filling.

Directions:
In a large saucepan, stir 2 cups of milk with the sugar. Place pan over medium heat and bring up to a simmer, stirring constantly. Whisk the egg yolks together. Temper the hot milk into the egg yolks. Here's what I do. Add about 1/4 cup of hot milk to the yolks, whisking continuously so the yolks won't cook. Then, add about the same amount of milk again, still whisking. Repeat again, then add the egg and milk mixture into the saucepan, while whisking. Mix the remaining 1/4 cup milk with the cornstarch, making a slurry. Whisk this mixture into the pudding and simmer, stirring constantly, until pie filling is very thick. Directions say 4-6 minutes, but mine is done before then. Remove pan from heat. Stir in the toasted coconut, vanilla and butter. Poor filling into cooled pie crust and smooth over the top. Cool completely. Prepare meringue, if using.

Meringue: Preheat oven to 400 degrees. With an electric mixer, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Add the remaining 1/4 cup sugar and the pinch of cream of tarter. Mix egg whites until stiff peaks form. Spread the egg whites over top of pie. I use the back of a spoon to create peaks or swirls in the meringue to look pretty. Be sure to bring the meringue up to the pie crust, making sure the meringue overlaps the crust a little, so it won't shrink back after baking. Sprinkle with a little more coconut if desired.
Bake for 3-4 minutes until meringue is golden. Cool. Enjoy!
NOTE: If you would like a higher meringue, just add 1 more egg white.

13 comments:

  1. This is my daughter's favorite pie. I always think of Gilligan's Island when I see this pie...lol Thanks for sharing the recipe. It looks wonderful:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband and I both LOVE coconut cream pie. Oh does this look good. I know how addicting they are too. Going to save this recipe and try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love coconut and this is at the top of my dessert favorites list. I usually just put whipped cream on top but meringue looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!This sounds wonderful. I havea SIL who loves coconut cream pie, so I can tell you your recipe will be put to good use around here. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is my favorite pie ever... it looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I was at your house. :) I love coconut cream pie, but it's just too big and too tempting for one or two people. I'd eat the entire thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara, I know what you mean about temptation - I sent pie home with my son and daughter in law, so I wouldn't eat it all !

      Delete
  7. Coconut cream pie is my favorite pie and it definitely needs a lovely meringue on top. Yours looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is the bee's knees for me, lynda. it's my favorite pie, but sans meringue--pile on the whipped cream for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll take the whipped cream also Grace; I love it either way.

      Delete
  9. Good heavens! I knew I shouldn't be visiting your site when I am hungry! This pie looks just fabulous, not to mention all the beautiful dishes calling me! And of course you can use the pork recipe on your site! So happy to share Ann Voskamp's recipe with your readers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have never made coconut cream pie...I don't know why..oh maybe because I will eat the whole thing

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!