Monday, March 12, 2012

Peach Pudding Dessert

 I almost decided not to share this recipe because I've had it since my first year of marriage. I don't remember where the recipe came from, but I began making it in 1978, and husband loved it then as well as now. I use more peaches than what the original recipe calls for, and I added vanilla to the topping. Peach Pudding Dessert is almost like a cobbler. It's definitely not a gourmet dessert, but it is one of those gooey types that tastes best with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream next to it. I guess you could call this a pantry dessert. It is made with ingredients you already have on hand. Canned peaches are used in this recipe. I know some of you all may not approve of using canned peaches, but you may substitute frozen ones that have been thawed, if desired. The batter goes into the baking dish first. Then you place the peaches over the batter. Weird, right?
 Next, you mix brown sugar and cinnamon together and sprinkle it over the peaches. Then, you pour a cup of boiling water over the whole thing and put it in the oven! Crazy yes? But just let it bake away about an hour in the oven, and see. The cake like topping will be on top, and then the peaches and the sweet brown sugar, cinnamony pudding on the bottom. That is the star of this dessert. The topping is just a dense, cake like batter, but the real treat is the peaches and that brown sugar 'pudding'.
 So you see why I'm still making this dessert after all these years. My husband requires it. Yes, there are prettier desserts, and yes there are more delicious desserts. But this is good too, so every once in a while my husband will  ask for this Peach Pudding Dessert, and I'm happy to oblige. A big scoop of this dessert, nestled in a bowl with some vanilla ice cream, or frozen yogurt, makes us very happy. Let me know if you give it a try!
Peach Pudding Dessert
origin unknown to me

1 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 can (29 ounces) drained -you may not need all of them (or use frozen peaches that are thawed)
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup boiling water
1/4 cup chopped pecans - optional , I've never used them

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. In a bowl mix the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Stir in the milk, oil and vanilla. Pour batter into an 8x8x2 inch baking dish and smooth. Arrange peaches over the batter, placing them close together. In small bowl, mix the brown sugar and cinnamon together. Sprinkle it over the peaches. Pour the 1 cup of boiling water carefully over all. Bake for 60-70 minutes until a tooth pick inserted in the cake comes out clean. There may be some pudding mixture on it but the dough should show done. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream. Enjoy!


15 comments:

  1. This looks divine. I just put a big can of peaches on my shopping list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a beauty, Lynda! I look more and more at those vintage recipes (origin: unknown). The sort that have comforted people for generations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that pool of brown sugar and cinnamon water is something i wouldn't mind dipping into... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am SO glad you shared this!!! We love peach desserts...and this sounds amazing. Printing it off to try...thank you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think sometimes the old recipes are the best ones. So glad you shared this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Judy. I have to admit that the old ones are pretty good!

      Delete
  6. I do love these old tried and true, vintage, address unknown recipes. I am trying to get my mom to bring down my grandma's recipe box to go through the recipes with her. I have her 1050 Betty Crocker cookbook with her notes and recipes cut out from news papers and magazines.

    Oops didn't mean to go on and on...it's just such a fun recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I overlook the simple recipes I often make too. It sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My family would love this dessert. The simple, old recipes are often the best. I have a can of peaches that will work perfectly here. Love the ice cream topper.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was looking for peach version of Chocolate pudding cake my family so loves. Thank-you for posting this ... It's perfect!! It is definitely gourmet! Just because it's simple and does not have a difined shape does not mean it's not gourmet. Served with ice-cream, whipped cream or just cream and it's very decadent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed this recipe, and thankyou for leaving a comment. This is still one of our family favorites!

      Delete
  10. Could you use fresh peaches and if so how many?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not used fresh peaches in this, but I think you could. The only thing is if fresh peaches have alot of juice the pudding part may not be as thick. But I really don't know for sure. If you try it, cut the peaches in thick slices and lay them out just like the photo. I don't know how many that will take- just enough to fill an 8x8 pan. Let me know if you give it a try!

      Delete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!