Monday, March 26, 2012

Bacon-Cheddar-Chive Scones

When I saw this recipe for Bacon-Cheddar-Chive Scones, I knew they were in my near future. I had never had a savory scone before, but with bacon and cheese as ingredients, I knew these just had to be tasty. And are they ever good! These savory scones would be a delicious addition to Easter brunch and they are also really good served with soup or salad. The first time I halved the recipe and used half and half instead of cream, because that's what I had on hand. But the scones are more tender when made with heavy cream like the recipe calls for. I also added some coarse ground pepper, but I didn't think it added anything to the taste. If you are worried about calories, make mini scones. With smokey bacon, oozing cheese and the oniony chives, these scones are irresistable.

Scones are easy to make, just don't overwork the dough. Stir up the ingredients, then pat the dough into an even circle, and cut into wedges. If you want to make mini scones, divide the dough in half and then cut into wedges.

These scones bake quickly! I almost left mine in the oven too long and you can see how golden they got. They were done in less time than the recipe stated. These Bacon-Cheddar-Chive Scones taste amazing, so I hope you'll give them a try!
BACON-CHEDDAR-CHIVE SCONES
Adapted from King Arthur Flour

2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt- recipe calls for 1 teaspoon
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 teaspoons sugar
4 tablespoons cold butter
1 cup coarsely grated  or diced cheddar cheese
1/3 cup snipped fresh chives -can use diced scallion tops
1/2 pound cooked bacon, crumbled - about 1 cup
3/4 cups heavy cream, plus 2 tablespoons more if needed
about 1/8 teaspoon coarse ground pepper- not really needed

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment, or grease it.
1. Whisk together flour,salt, baking powder, and sugar.
2. Use a pastry cutter, work the butter into the dry ingredients until unevenly crumbly
3. Mix the bacon, cheese and chives in with the flour mixture.
4. Add 3/4 cup of the heavy cream, stirring to combine. Try squeezing the dough together; if it is too crumbly and there are many crumbs in the bottom of the bowl, add the extra 1 or 2 tablespoons of cream until the dough comes together. Transfer the sticky dough to a floured work surface.
5. Pat the dough into about a 7 inch disk about 3/4 inch thick. Place dough on prepared baking sheet.
6. Use a knife to cut the disk of dough into 8 wedges. Spread the wedges apart on the pan.
7. Brush each scone with some cream. This will help them to brown.
8. Bake the scones for 22-24 minutes until golden brown. Mine were done in 19 minutes, so watch carefully! Mini scones will bake in 15-20 minutes. Remove scones from oven. Serve them warm, if possible, but room temperature is fine also.
TIPS:
These scones can be made several hours ahead of time, or even the night before, and then baked right before serving. To do this, get them ready for baking, and cover loosely with plastic wrap. Place baking pan with scones in the refrigerator for several hours, or overnight. The next morning, remove plastic wrap and place scones in preheated oven and bake per directions. Enjoy!
Unbaked scones can also be frozen. Place scones on baking sheet, and freeze them. Remove frozen scones and wrap artight in freezer bags and place in freezer. When ready to bake, place scones on a baking sheet, brush with cream and bake in preheated 425 degree oven for 35-40 minute. Watch carefully.


14 comments:

  1. You've been baking up a storm lately. We've never made scones, but after seeing these, that may have to change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been baking way too much lately Larry-going to have to start a diet!
      I think you'd like these scones with all the bacon.

      Delete
  2. I've never had scones before but I plan on making these this weekend. They have all the ingredients my husband and I love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree...I would have to make these too, they are calling my name!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have all the ingredients--I'm going to try to make these tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I make scones all the time, but these are scones on another level! Bacon, cheddar and chives? What a fabulous combination. Slice in half and put an egg in there and I'd be in heaven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like the idea of an egg sandwich Barbara; thanks for the idea!

      Delete
  6. These look wonderful and are waiting to be tried. I don't make many savory scones so these are of particular interest to me. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are right, these would be perfect for an Easter brunch. They would be the hit of the entire brunch with my friends.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummmy-licious! They look perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  9. the cheese and bacon are key, but my favorite component is the chives--what great flavor they add!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the chives are wonderful in these scones-I wouldn't make them without chives at all.

      Delete
  10. I made these today and they were great! First time I've ever made scones. I doubled the recipe and then split the dough into 4 rounds. I cut each round into 16 wedges to make bite-sized scones for a party. I didn't use the chives or pepper, but they were still tasty. Baked for 16 minutes with a little extra shredded cheese on top. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay, so happy they turned out good for you! And thanks for the comment-I love hearing from readerslike you.

      Delete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!