Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Homemade Sandwich Buns

 I finally made these fantastic Homemade Sandwich Buns last week. I've had them bookmarked forever from Cathy at Wives With Knives. If you haven't sen her blog, you need to pay her a visit. With gorgeous pictures and mouthwatering recipes, I can always find something to try there. These sandwich rolls are wonderful for any type of sandwich and they are ready  in about 60 minutes, start to finish! I used them for ham and cheese sandwiches and hamburgers and loved them. I made larger buns than Cathy does, which my husband loved, but they were too large for me. I made 10 buns, but next time will try 12. My husband ate the first one while it was still hot, you know, just to make sure they were OK. HaHa! Even a plain skillet fried hamburger tasted wonderful in these buns. They freeze wonderfully, so I'll be keeping these on hand. Hope you'll give them a try!
Homemade Sandwich Buns
Slightly adapted from Wives With Knives

1 cup milk - I used 2%
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon honey
1/4 cup butter- I used unsalted butter
1 large egg, room temperature
4 1/2 cups flour- I used unbleached
1 package instant yeast (2 1/4 teaspoon)
1 1/2 teaspoon salt-I only used 1 teaspoon
1 beaten egg yolk, for brushing on the rolls before they bake
Sesame or poppy seeds for sprinkling on tops before baking

1. Heat the milk, honey, water and butter until the butter is melted. Cool to 120F. Beat in the egg.
2. Mix 2 cups of the flour, salt and yeast together. Stir into the milk mixture. Stir in the rest of the flour, 1/2 cup at a time and beat well after each addition.
3. When the dough pulls together and forms a soft ball, turn it out onto a floured surface and knead it until smooth, about 5 minutes. If dough is sticky, add a little more flour as you knead.
4. Divide dough into equal parts. I made 10 rolls, which turned out to be just right for my husband, but too much for me. Next time I'll make 12 rolls, like Cathy does.
5. Shape the dough into smooth balls and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Flatten the rolls slightly with your hand.
6. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rise 30-40 minutes. When rolls are almost double in size, brush with beaten egg yolk, if desired. Sprinkle with poppy seeds or sesame seeds. Bake in a preheated oven for 10-12 minutes. Since my rolls were a bit larger, I baked them about 14 minutes.
7. Enjoy!


9 comments:

  1. These look wonderful. Instead of buying buns from the store, I'm going to give these a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy that you liked this recipe, Lynda. Homemade buns make any sandwich so much better. Sometimes I slice them into thirds, toast the slices, and serve with butter and jam. Good that way too. Thank you so much for the link.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These really sound delicious. Nothing beats homemade rolls and it is always nice to have some in the freezer. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, gosh, what perfect buns! I love Cathy's blog, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will have to make these. I enjoy Cathy's blog too. I have seen sandwich or burger buns on another blog this week....maybe it's a sign I have to make them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, those are some gorgeous buns. I have to try making these.

    ReplyDelete
  7. sucha a great idea to make your own sandwich buns! they look pretty good

    ReplyDelete
  8. No comparison! These are beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!