Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins

 Muffins are a sweet morning indulgence, one that I don't indulge in too often.  When I find a muffin that I love, I go overboard, having a couple in the morning, maybe a another one for a mid afternoon snack, and of course one (okay, 2) in the evening. These lovely Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins were so irresistible. With a soft crumb and tangy lemon flavor, they were just too good, too tempting to pass by. The first time I made them, I didn't glaze them as I never glaze any muffins I make. Don't need the extra sugar, I'd think. But this time I used a glaze and that sweet, lemony glaze put these muffins over the top in the flavor department. Superb, tart flavor. I love them and hope you will too.
Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
slightly adapted from Brown Eyed Baker, which she adapted from
Dori Greenspan
Makes 12 muffins

2/3 cup granulated sugar
grated zest of 1 lemon
juice of 1 lemon- I used 2 tablespoons and wouldn't use less
2 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup sour cream
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 1/2 tablespoons poppy seeds

1. Place a rack in center of oven, and preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a regular sized muffin pan with baking spray, or line with paper liners.
2. In a large bowl add the sugar and the lemon zest and rub it together with your fingers until the sugar is moist and the lemon fragrance is strong. Mix in the flour, poppy seeds, baking powder, soda, and salt. In another bowl, whisk together the sour cream, eggs, vanilla, lemon juice and the melted butter until blended. Pour the liquid ingredients in with the dry ingredients and mix together just until blended. Don't over mix! That will cause a tough crumb. Divide the batter among the 12 muffin cups.
3. Bake in preheated oven for 18-20 minutes. Tops will be golden and tooth pick inserted will come out clean.  Remove from oven and cool for 5 minutes. Carefully remove each muffin from pan.
4. There was not a recipe for the glaze given, so I mixed together 1 cup powdered sugar with enough fresh lemon juice to make a glaze. Drizzle glaze over the muffins. Enjoy!

Store muffins in airtight container.

10 comments:

  1. I love these muffins! We have company coming and these would be great for breakfast. Thanks for a great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently glazed a banana bread, and it did make all the difference!

    ReplyDelete
  3. nothing pairs with the poppy quite like lemon, and i love the glaze!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my goodness, so these look good, I know I wouldn't be able to eat just one! anne

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Dorie's lemon poppy-seed recipe! I think it's the best one I've ever eaten.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are lovely muffins, Lynda, and would make anyone sitting down to breakfast or brunch smile. And they're pretty as a picture too. The glaze is perfect...I use that same glaze on my lemon coconut bars.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A glaze never hurt anything!!!! Love lemon and poppyseed...they look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look SO yummy! And I love the dripping glaze....mmmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look delicious and I love the glaze.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look wonderful! I have never made anything with poppy seed. shame shame!

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!