Monday, February 6, 2012

Tex - Mex Beef Enchiladas - ground beef filling with a chipotle sauce

 I have a serious love affair with Tex - Mex food and I especially love enchiladas. I rarely order them in restaurants, but love making them at home instead. I found these wonderful ground beef enchiladas at Everyday Food and couldn't wait to try them. My husband and I loved the smoky,spicy flavor the chipotle chili gave the sauce. It is spicy hot, but not a fire alarm hot, so it does cool down. And considering that we both don't do well with real spicy food, we had no trouble with these enchiladas. Loved them, will make again next week, in fact. Hope you'll give them a try!
Tex - Mex Beef Enchiladas
adapted from Everyday Food

Sauce:
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup flour
1 can (15 ounces) of low sodium chicken broth
1 cup of water
1/2 of a medium onion, minced, my addition
1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon dried cumin - my addition
1 small, canned, chipotle chili pepper in adobo sauce, minced- my chili was about 3-4 inches long
1 tablespoon adobo sauce
Beef Filling:
1 pound lean ground beef
1/2 of medium onion
2 cloves minced garlic, my addition
1 teaspoon chili powder, my addition
1 teaspoon cumin
salt and pepper to taste
8 ounces freshly grated cheese, I used a Cheddar Jack cheese
1/2 cup cilantro
about 10 corn tortillas

1. In a saucepan over medium heat, cook the onion in the 2 tablespoons of oil until softened. Stir in the flour and the chili powder, and whisk for about 1 minute while the flour cooks. Slowly pour in the broth and water, whisking as you pour. Add adobo sauce and minced chipotle pepper, the broth and water. Mix well; bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer about 10 minutes. Remove from heat until needed.

2. In a skillet, brown the ground beef and minced onion together. When meat is no longer pink, stir in the garlic and stir about 1 minute. Drain off any fat. Season the meat with the chili powder, cumin and salt and pepper.

3. To assemble the enchiladas:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Pour about 1/4 cup of enchilada sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish. Warm the tortillas. I stacked the tortillas on foil, wrapped them up and placed in oven for about 10 minutes. They were ready to use then. Stir about 1/3 cup of sauce into the beef mixture. Place a rounded 1/4 cup of meat on each tortilla. Add about 1 tablespoon of shredded cheese, and roll up. Lay seam side down in the baking pan. Spread the remaing sauce over the enchiladas. Cover with the cheese. Turn oven up to 400 degrees F. and place enchiladas into the oven. Bake for about 20 minutes until cheese is melted and enchiladas are bubbly. Remove from oven and garnish with cilantro. I also added some diced green onion. So good -  enjoy!

Also check out my Chicken Enchiladas with Sour Cream Sauce
and my Shredded Beef Enchiladas.

16 comments:

  1. They look delicious and your sauce sounds like a keeper. I'll have to try these with some barbequed brisket.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kind of meal.....looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh My!!! Those look scrumptious. I think enchiladas should be a food group. That is one of my most favorite foods. This recipe looks great. I have seen a ton of recipes on your blog that I would love to try. You are a great cook and a wonderful baker!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look great. I love the flavor of chipotle - I put it in my tuna salad sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is one hearty dish. I agree with Angela about enchiladas be a food group, They are that good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Funny - I always order these in restaurants but never make these at home. But somehow - today - I think that's about to change.

    ReplyDelete
  7. enchiladas are far from aesthetically-pleasing, but they please everything else, especially the palate! great plate, lynda. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love enchilladas. These sound great. The chipotle must give it such wonderful flavor, looks cheesy and yummy:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a BIG fan of enchiladas and I really like them! First, making your own sauce is so much tastier than from a can. I also think the filling sounds just like I like.

    ReplyDelete
  10. this look s so yummmy for the tummy

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hate when people comment on how good they look. Have you tried them? Are they good? That's what we want to know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What can I say- I made and we love them. Maybe someone else will share sometime. Lynda

      Delete
    2. I have tried them from this recipe, and they are pretty tasty. I think sauce wise it's the best I've found. The filling, cheese and tortillas are all pretty standard, the sauce is what makes or breaks enchiladas for me and yes, this sauce was good.
      M in Texas

      Delete
    3. Thanks so much for the comment! It's nice to know someone else likes them as much as we do.

      Delete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!