Thursday, February 16, 2012

Cuban Bread

  Wouldn't you love to have some wonderful homemade bread to eat in 2 hours or less, from start to finish? This is the easiest bread I've ever made. All you do is stir together 5 ingredients, let it rest about 25 minutes, divide into 2 loaves, place in cold oven. Turn on oven and bake. Like I said, this bread is so easy. Oh, and it tastes good too, real good. It developes a great flavor in a very short time. And the sesame seeds add a wonderful toasted flavor to this bread. I've made it twice in one week and we can't stay out of it. When I saw this recipe on Heather's site  I knew I'd have to make it. She makes lots of bread, so I trusted her judgement. This Cuban bread has a thick crust with a very substantial, but soft interior. I made Cuban bread years ago a few times, but it was a long loaf similar to french bread. Seriously, there's not a good reason to not have homemade bread in the house when it comes together this fast. My husband and I love it. Hope you give it a try!
Cuban Bread
adapted from Bernard Clayton's New Complete Book of Breads

Ingredients:
5-6 cups of bread flour
2 packages dry yeast, I used quick rise
1 tablespoon salt- I used 2 teaspoons
2 tablespoons sugar
2 cups hot water- I just used hot water from the faucet
sesame or poppy seed for top, optional
cornmeal for the baking sheet

1. Place 4 cups of bread flour in a large mixing bowl and add the yeast, salt and sugar. Stir until blended. Pour in the hot water and beat 100 strokes by hand, or about 3 minutes with a mixer.
2. Gradually work in the rest of the flour, 1/2 cup at a time, until the dough is no longer sticky. I ended up using almost 5 1/2 cups.
3. Sprinkle your work surface with flour, and work in the flour as you knead by hand, until the dough is smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes. OR, or beat with a dough hook of mixer until smooth.
4. Place dough in a greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and place in a warm spot until double in bulk -15 to 25 minutes.
5. Punch dough down and turn the dough out on work surface. Cut in half. Shape each piece into a round and place on baking sheet that has been dusted with cornmeal.
6. Take a sharp knife or razor and slash an  X on each loaf. Mist with water and then sprinkle with sesame seeds or poppy seeds.
7. Place baking sheet in cold oven on the middle rack. Place a pan of hot water on the lower shelf of oven. Turn oven on to 400 degrees F (205 C). The bread will rise while the oven heats.
8.Bake for about 50 minutes, until the loaves are golden and bottom crusts sound hard and hollow when thumped. Cool the loaves on a wire rack a bit before slicing. Enjoy!

14 comments:

  1. This would be the perfect bread for Cuban Sandwiches!! Can't wait to try it....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We haven't tried it in sandwiches yet Brenda, but will today-can't wait for lunch!

      Delete
  2. In two hours? I need this in my life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a huge fan of homemade bread. This would be nice to make tuna sandwiches ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. YES! I feel the same way about this bread. I'm so happy you enjoy it, too =) Thanks so much for the links. Enjoy your day...and your bread ;).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Making more bread is one of the few things on my resolution list this year. Heather's recipes are the best and when both of you recommend this bread I have no choice but to try it. I have a feeling it makes terrific sandwiches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, I'm also trying to make more bread this year. Homemade is so much better than what I can get at mt grocers.

      Delete
  6. I love Cuban bread. I once had a contract at a company whose headquarters were just off Ferry Street in Newark. The are is known as the Ironbound and it is an an Italian and Portuguese neighborhood. One of the areas largest suppliers of Cuban bread had a huge bakery there and the aroma was enough to drive you mad. Clayton's versionof this bread is very good. James Beard also has a nice one. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The aroma of all that bread would be hard to resist Mary!

      Delete
  7. I've never had Cuban bread before... it looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Lynda, This does look good. I bet warm with butter or olive oil is just delicious. Blessings my dear, Catherine xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had a fabulous Cuban sandwich in Florida one year. I'll have to try making the bread. Bread doesn't get much easier.

    ReplyDelete
  10. this looks like a winner of a loaf, lynda--crusty on the outside and soft and chewy on the inside!

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!