Thursday, April 30, 2009

Shredded Beef Enchiladas

As you can see, I was on a Mexican food kick this week, and I thoroughly enjoyed every tasty minute of it! Sometimes, you just gotta give in to your cravings! In fact, I think I feel a pasta craving moving in, so I'll probably be posting pasta in a few days! But, I must share these Shredded Beef Enchiladas with you first as they are so delicious and addictive! The most time consuming part of this recipe is cooking the roast. But, I did mine in the crock pot, so I did not have to really watch it closely, so that was a big help! However, I did brown the roast, with spices, on top of the stove, and then placed the roast in the crock pot and cooked on low for about 6-8 hours. I actually did this 1 day ahead of making the enchiladas, but you of course can do this all in 1 day. So, I sprinkled the roast with spices, browned it in a large pan in some oil, and then transferred said roast to a slow-cooker. I then finely chopped 1 onion and 2-3 large cloves of garlic and threw them in with the roast, along with some broth. Cook until very tender and roast pulls apart easily. Then, you want to shred meat and add some canned green chilies to the meat.
I broke the meat apart in chunks and then shredded it. I also added black beans and cheese to the meat mixture, but I forgot to take a picture of it, so visualize that part in your mind, OK? Next, I took some corn tortillas and fried them in a little oil and drained them on paper towels. Then, I took the meat filling and spread on the tortillas and rolled them and placed in a baking dish that had enchilada sauce in it.

See, I've got a slit in one. My tongs tore a couple of the tortillas, but that won't hurt if the tear is small. So, roll up all the enchiladas nicely in a row, and then spoon some more sauce over each one. And of course, we need more cheese on these babies! I used a cheddar and jack cheese on the top because that's what I had. Use the cheese of your choice here.


Bake in oven for about 25 minutes and you are ready for an appetite pleasing feast that your family will love! By using the crock pot, I did not have to check the oven every so often to make sure there was enough liquid in the pan. But, you can do it either way, because they work equally well. So let's make this palate pleasing dish now, and your taste buds will thank you!



SHREDDED BEEF ENCHILADAS
For the beef, you'll need 1 chuck or round roast( I used a 2 1/2 pound roast)
chili powder
salt and pepper
cumin
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, diced
1-2 cups of beef broth or water
1-2 canned of chopped chili peppers
1 cup shredded Monterrey Jack cheese, for filling
corn tortillas, I used about 24 ( have extra in case some tear too badly to use)
enchilada sauce, canned or homemade ( I wimped out and used about a 28 ounce size can, sorry!)
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed, if desired
2-3 more cups of shredded cheese for the topping ( I used Cheddar and Monterrey Jack)
Liberally sprinkle roast with salt, pepper, chili powder,and a little cumin. In a large dutch oven over medium heat, brown roast quickly in 2 tablespoon of oil. Don't let meat burn! Place the roast in a crock pot with the diced onion and the garlic. Add about 1 cup of beef broth or even water, and cover pot and cook on low until very tender and meat shreds easily, about 6 hours, or up to 8 hours, depending on size of roast. I used a 3 pound roast. When roast is done, remove meat to a bowl or plate and cool for a few minutes. Skim the onions and garlic out of the pot and add to the roast. Taking 2 forks, shred the roast into bite size pieces and if the meat is dry add some of the cooking liquid to the meat. You want the meat to be moist but not sloppy. Add the drained ,canned chili peppers and the cheese to the meat mixture and stir. Taste to see if you need to add more seasonings.
For tortillas: In a small skillet over medium heat, add oil to about 1/4 inch depth. When oil is hot, add 1 tortilla at a time to skillet. When tortilla starts to puff, turn over with tongs, and then remove tortilla to paper towel lined pan to drain. Continue with rest of tortillas.
To assemble these enchiladas, you'll need 2 9x13 inch baking pans. Place 3/4 cup of enchilada sauce in each pan to cover the bottom. Taking a tortilla, place a couple of spoonfuls of meat mixture along the tortilla and roll up. Place enchilada into pan and repeat. I fill the tortillas fairly full, but you must be able to wrap them some to contain the filling. After enchiladas are all rolled, spoon more enchilada sauce over the tops and add the rest of the cheese. Place pans in a preheated 350 degree oven and bake for about 25 minutes, until bubbly. Remove and let cool 5 minutes or so before serving. Enjoy! Serve with Tex Mex Rice and a salad, and maybe some Guacamole and chips!
If this recipe is too large for what you need, you can adjust this by using 2 cups shredded beef and 1/2 can of beans and that would be enough for 1 pan of enchiladas. However, I like having the extra for leftovers the next day, or they can be frozen. This may seem time consuming, but these enchiladas are worth the effort when your having that Mexican food craving that just won't go away! What are you craving?


21 comments:

  1. Oh my! Wouldn't Ole Sweetie-Pi just LUV these! Beef and cheese!

    I'm not familiar with Mexican foods (we barely have a Taco Bell LOL) so I've always been shy about trying recipes. It looks so good, and I certainly like all the ingredients. I think when I have a roast beef left over, I will give this a GO! Looks too good to pass up.

    Me? I'm craving fresh steamers from Cape Cod. Or mussels in marinara sauce. Or fried clams. Or even boiled lobster with BUTTAH!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like some delicious enchiladas! I haven't made them in ages, might have to break them out for Cinco de Mayo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmm. They look so good. I love enchiladas, shredded beef are my favorite kind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look so delicious! I usually make chicken or cheese enchiladas, I'm going to do beef next time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look incredibly good and the colors are amazing. Nice recipe to have with cinco de mayo just around the corner.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your enchiladas look great. One of my favorite dishes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, who wouoldn't love this for dinner! My girls would be over the moon to have this for dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohhhh, Linda, these look so yummy. How I love enchiladas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shredded Beef is the only way to go on Enchiladas they look like they came out of a restaurant. Good job

    ReplyDelete
  10. this kind of food really makes me feel hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hum, succulent, délicieux, ça met l'eau à la bouche... j'ai envie d'en goûter ! J'ai faim !!!
    Kisses from France,
    Tatieva

    ReplyDelete
  12. i'm always in the mood for mexican food, i kid you not. enchiladas are a staple for me, and your filling looks FABULOUS. i love the cilantro on top, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mmm, those look great! We've got a whole chicken on the grill, so that's what I'm craving right now!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Enchiladas are a huge menu staple in our house. We have to have them at least once a week. I am looking forward to trying your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh wow! If this tastes as good as it looks then I will have a happy family for dinner. Thanks for the great recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I doubled this recipe for a celebration dinner and served for 11 tonight. Everyone thought they were amazing! I even made a few vegetrian-style with Morningstar imitation ground beef. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Krista, I 'm so glad these were such a hit at your party! Thanks for the feedback!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Made these for dinner tonight and they were a hit! And we made a family event of it everyone helped roll the enchillad's. Thanks so much will be adding these to one of my regular meals!! yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous- I'm glad they were a hit with your family, and I'm sure your young ones enjoyed helping! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I stumbled across this recipe in my Google search for enchiladas and they looked so good I had to try them. The only change I made was I did not fry my tortillas - I warmed them up and dipped them in the enchilada sauce.

    Made this with your Tex-Mex rice and some black beans on the side - it was a hit. My 12 year old say kept saying the enchiladas were awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anonymous, thanks for your comment; I also have tried dipping the enchiladas in the sauce and it does work really well! I'm so glad you enjoyed my recipe and I hope you'll stop by again!

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!