Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Chicken Enchiladas with Sour Cream Sauce

One of my family's favorite meals is enchiladas. I've already shared my Shredded Beef Enchiladas with you. It happens to be one of the most popular posts in Lynda's Recipe Box! Today, I'll share my favorite recipe for Chicken Enchiladas with Sour Cream Sauce. I've been experimenting with these for several years now and I'm finally happy with the results. The chicken filling has just the right amount of spiciness to go with the creamy sauce and melted cheese. The addition of Salsa Verde to the white sauce really is a flavor booster! This recipe is easy to adjust to your own tastes and ingredients that you have on hand. I prefer using corn tortillas, but you may substitute the flour tortillas, if you wish. The corn tortillas need to be softened before filling. There are a couple of ways to do this. Some cooks have good luck warming the corn tortillas in the microwave, however, it doesn't work for me. They still fall apart too much, so I always resort to softening them in a skillet with just enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan. Lay the tortilla in the hot pan and let it come to a sizzle and flip it over with tongs. Let the tortilla start to bubble and remove from the skillet and lay on paper towels to drain and cool. You'll need 10-12 corn tortillas for a 9x13 inch pan.
You may use leftover chicken or turkey for these luscious enchiladas. Or, you may use skinless, boneless chicken breasts. Either simmer them in water for about 15-20 minutes or bake in the oven. When done, shred or chop the meat. For a super easy idea, buy a rotisserie chicken from your local deli and take the meat off the bones. I like to cook a whole chicken in the crock pot for the meat because I love the flavor of the white and dark meat together, but any of these suggestions will work. I used the boneless chicken breasts this time, about 1 1/2 pounds, cooked, shredded and then coarsely chopped. To assemble, pour some white sauce in the bottom of baking dish. Fill each tortilla with chicken mixture and wrap up and place in baking pan. Pour more white sauce over enchiladas and top with cheese. Bake and devour! Let's make them!
CHICKEN ENCHILADAS with SOUR CREAM SAUCE
from Lynda's Recipe Box
For chicken filling;
About 3 cups of cooked, shredded chicken
1/2 cup of sour cream sauce, (recipe below), or just enough to moisten chicken
1 4 ounce can of chopped, green chilies
1/2 cup diced onion, lightly sauteed in small amount of oil (optional)
1 cup of shredded Monterrey Jack Cheese, or cheddar
salt and pepper to taste
Mix all ingredients in a large bowl.
Sour Cream Sauce:
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
1 large clove garlic, minced
2 cups chicken broth or stock, or 1 can purchased broth
1 -7 ounce can of Salsa Verde, or equivalent from a jar of Salsa Verde (green salsa)
1/2-1 cup of sour cream
salt and pepper to taste
Melt the butter in a large saucepan. Add the garlic and saute just til fragrant. Add the flour and stir to make a roux. Pour in the chicken broth and Salsa Verde and whisk until it comes to a simmer. Cook until sauce is thickened. It will be sauce like, not too thick. Remove the pan from heat and stir in the sour cream. Taste to see if you want to add more sour cream. Cool.
Other ingredients;
12 corn tortillas
2 cups of shredded Monterrey Jack or cheddar cheese
To assemble enchiladas:
Pour about 1 cup of sour cream sauce in a 9x13 inch baking pan. Soften tortillas in oil or in the microwave. Lay out tortilla and add about 1/3 cup of chicken filling to each tortilla. Wrap it up and lay it in the pan. Repeat with remaining filling and tortillas. It will take 10-12 tortillas.
Pour remaining sour cream sauce over the rolled enchiladas. You may not wish to use it all, go by your own preference here. Sprinkle more cheese over tops of enchiladas. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 25- 30 minutes, or until bubbly. Cool a few minutes before serving. Garnish with chopped green onions and cilantro, if desired. Enjoy!
NOTE: This dish may be prepared early in day and refrigerated; then bake at dinner time a few minutes longer.
If you prefer some onion and peppers in the sauce, just add some diced jalapenos and onion to the butter and cook until softened, then stir in the flour and broth and finish. We love the Salsa Verde in the white sauce as it gives just enough spicy flavor to this delicious dish. The 1/2 cup of sour cream seems just right, flavorful, but not over powering.
I love serving these Chicken Enchiladas with my Tex-Mex Rice and a simple salad, plus some Guacamole Dip and chips. This is a great meal any time of year!


22 comments:

  1. I'm drooling over these enchiladas right now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious! I could totally eat like half that pan. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always make a red sauce for my enchiladas, but my husband LOVES white sauce. It looks completely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look delicious. Great picture. I need to make these soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These looks wonderful! I love using corn tortillas when making enchiladas (funny how many people use flour) I ususally like and use verde enchilada sauce when making my chicken enchiladas. I'm going to try yours next time with the sour cream, yumm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is, without a doubt, one of my favorite dinners. the sauce is so creamy and the perfect compliment to some spicy chicken. lovely greenery as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks like a really tasty meal and it has the added benefit of being liked by everyone. I really like your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am loving this enchilada recipe - the sour cream sauce sounds fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How's a girl supposed to stay on a diet with all of this goodness?!? Add me to the list of droolers!
    You've probably covered this on a previous post, but what would your top 3 choices be for an easy company dinner (one I could handle, cooking is not my forte ), hopefully one I could mostly do ahead of time and just put in the oven when company arrives. I have to admit one of the most terrifying things is to have someone over for dinner. Thanks for any help you can offer! :O)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never been a huge fan of Mexican food, but my husband LOVES it! This dish would score some major bonus points :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lynda, those look FABULOUS!! Adding this keeper to my stash of must-makes! YUM YUM

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks totally delicious. I don't make enchiladas enough. If I want corn tortillas here I have to make them myself.. so I tend to get a little lazy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lynda we really love Burritos, tacos and enchiladas specially the kids love them, these look fantastic, xx gloria

    Thanks by stopping by at my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lara, I like red sauce too!

    Santamaker, I was going to email you, but didn't see a link. Cooking for company can be intimidating for anyone. Are you wanting a holiday meal idea, or somthing else? I love making enchiladas, or a casserole for company because it can be done ahead of time. Make a large salad or two, some good bread or rolls and you've got a great meal. Cookie bars are an easy dessert,if you want to serve dessert.Email me if you want more ideas!

    Natashya,I think I'd be lazy too if I had to make the tortillas every time I wanted them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. your recipe is very vague I have read through it three times and cannot find where it breaks down the white sauce ingredients!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous- I'm sorry for your trouble, but thanks for pointing it out to me. I've changed the format of the recipe and sharpened it where needed. I was calling the sour cream sauce, white sauce, which was confusing. I hope it is easier to follow now. Thankyou for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fabulous recipe!! I am from Texas, so I am very picky about Mexican food. I followed this recipe to the letter and it was just awesome!! I plan to make it for Super Bowl weekend. I also made your beef enchiladas (the best ever) and your chicken taquitos - all were outstanding! You must have some Texans in your DNA - hahaha

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!