Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Coffee-Cocoa Snack Cake

 My chocolate craving got the best of me the other day, and I just wanted cake. But I didn't want to go to much trouble to make one. Walking through the grocery store, I saw all kinds of snack cakes to buy, and that reminded me of a recipe I had seen for a chocolate snack cake. I'll take homemade cake over store bought any day.When I went home, I found this recipe and decided to give it a try right then. Now, this is not a light fluffy cake. No, this cake is a dense, moist, dark chocolate cake. My only change to the recipe was to add chocolate chips, and to dust the top of the cake with confectioners sugar. I'll do the same again. I personally could not detect any coffee flavor, but it was still very good.
 Son Number 1 stopped by, ate 2 pieces of cake, and proclaimed it "awesome". So I will make it again. It is easy and has great flavor. Here's the recipe.
Coffee-Cocoa Snack Cake
slightly adapted from Fine Cooking

10 tablespoons very soft butter ( 5 ounces)
1- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons unbleached, all purpose flour;  7-1/4 ounces
1/2 cup plus 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa together- 2-1/2 ounce (not dutch-processed)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 -1 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips
1-1/2 cups brewed coffee- cooled to warm
confectioners sugar for dusting

Place rack in center of oven and preheat to 350 degrees F.
Grease and flour a 9x9 inch square baking pan. If you are going to remove the cake from the pan, then line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper and grease and flour it.
Do not use a mixer for this cake, except to cream the butter and sugar together, if desired. I just mixed it all by hand. Easy!
Mix softened butter and sugar in a bowl and cream until smooth. Blend in the eggs, one at a time. Stir in vanilla. Sift the dry ingredients together and pour into the batter. Add the coffee and whisk the ingredients until mixture is smooth and mostly free of lumps.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 40-45 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool before serving.
If you used parchment paper and are going to remove the cake from the
pan, let the cake sit for 20 minutes before inverting onto another rack.
I left my cake in the pan to cool.
This cake is a bit crumbly in texture. It can be wrapped in plastic and stored at room temperature for up to 5 days.

16 comments:

  1. This is really a quick snack cake which is easy to make. They're not fancy, but they are sweet and satisfying. This type of cake gently melts in your mouth while sending you to heaven. Thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dense, moist, chocolate cake is my favorite! It sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i can definitely believe that this one qualifies as 'awesome'! coffee does wonderful things to a chocolate cake!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh YUMM this looks wonderful! I love chocolate snack cakes - I used to bake one all the time when I was younger. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy! Milk Please! Now that's a snack!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've had this cake before but I must tell you I love the changes you've made to the recipe. It looks scrumptious and folks have to try it in order to know just how delicious it. I'm so glad you posted it. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. That would be my type of chocolate cake!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been walking around my home searching for a sweet... the cupboards are bare. This is just what I want!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your additions make a big difference, in my opinion. Chocolate cake needs a little something extra like the chips.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum...now this is the way I like chocolate cake! Bookmarked!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sometimes you just want a cake without a lot of hoopla, and boy does this sound it more than satisfies. Definitely saving this. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds really yummy! I always crave chocolate, too much, and definitely would love this cake over store-bought too:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This really is a lovely cake and your photo of it is wonderful. I love the coffee-cocoa combination and the dark richness of this cake. I hope you have a great evening. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  14. We love a good rich chocolate cake and the addition of coffee really brings out that chocolate flavor. When my son gives the nod of approval the recipe goes right into my recipe box.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh lord, combining two of my favorite things! My waistline hasn't a chance of butter in a skillet!

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!