Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Pecan Sandies

 I grew up eating the Pecan Sandies that you buy from the store as my mother loved them and she always had them stashed in the kitchen somewhere. After I married , whenever I visited her, she always insisted we have coffee and a Pecan Sandie or two, so they grew on me also. I don't buy them because I'd probably eat the whole carton! So when I saw this recipe for Pecan Sandies on Martha Stewart's site, I had to try them. They taste fantastic, and I will make them again. The dough is very crumbly when the ingredients are mixed, so you have to gather the crumbs and roll the dough into balls. I may have handled the dough too much because I thought the cookies were a bit hard, but they did soften slightly on the second day. Next time I'll use parchment paper when I bake them as the cookie edges browned so much I was afraid they would burn. But the flavor is amazing! Loved the buttery, pecan flavors. I'm afraid they didn't last long at our house.
Pecan Sandies
from Martha Stewart
Recipe made about 1 1/2 dozen for me.

1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened- I used salted
1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt- I omitted this because I used salted butter
1 cup all purpose flour, spooned into cup and leveled
1 cup pecans, chopped

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place rack on center of oven. In a bowl, cream the brown sugar and butter together with a mixer. Add in the vanilla. Add the flour and mix on low speed until flour is incorporated. Stir in chopped pecans by hand. Dough will be very sandy and crumbly.
Gather dough and form onto about 1 1/2 inch balls and place about 2 inches apart on baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake at 350 degrees. for 15-17 minutes. Cool on a wire rack. Enjoy!

8 comments:

  1. I adore Pecan Sandies and (sad to say) have only bought them - have never made them. Shall be saving this because it's always nice to take a break form the chocolate chip cookie routine. And if the flavor is amazing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pecan Sandies are one of my favorite cookies and I would love to be able to make them at home. Thanks for sharing this recipe, Lynda.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't had these in years. They were always in our house when I was a kid because my dad loved them. He's 89 now and occasionally I make cookies and send them to him. These will be in the next batch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this recipe. My mister loves
    Pecan Sandies.
    Hugs,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always loved the Keebler Pecan Sandies too...but since I don't buy cookies much anymore, I will definitely try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is my husband's favorite cookie. I used to buy it for him and now I can make it. If you have a moment, my husband would be thrilled if you linked this to Bake with Bizzy. I would be thrilled to. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. butter, brown sugar, and pecans--this is a winning combination every time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are a childhood favorite...and I've been eying Martha's recipe since I first saw it. I really need to try these gems :)

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!