Thursday, April 19, 2012

Guacamole Dip

 Raise your hand if you like Guacamole! I sure do. I'm addicted to avocados anyway, so when you add in all the other goodies and chips, well, Guacamole is heaven on a chip. Creamy or chunky, I don't care, I'll take it please. My husband doesn't like it at all, but I don't mind. I just don't have to share it! Hehe.
I've had this recipe for many years and have found that you really have to go by taste when making Guacamole Dip. Avocados come in different sizes, as do tomatoes, so following the recipe to a tee is difficult. If you have made this dip before you already know this, but if you are making it for the first time, you have to learn to adjust the recipe to you personal likes. When avocado are large, I use more tomato, when they are small I use less tomato. Just make it yours. Don't use what you don't like. Here's my recipe from the archives.
Guacamole Dip
From Lynda's Recipe Box

2 ripe avocados
1 tomato, diced- I used 1 Roma this time
1/2 of a small onion, diced, or to taste-I only used about 2 tablespoons
1 or 2 small jalapeno peppers, seeded and diced-sometimes I use pickled jalapenos
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice, or to taste- Don't leave this out; it not only adds flavor, but helps to keep the avocado from turning brown.
1 clove garlic, minced-optional (I don't use)
1/4 -1/2 teaspoon salt
black pepper to taste
about 2 tablespoons cilantro, optional

Cut the avocados in half length-wise, and using a spoon scoop out each half and put in a bowl. Mash well with a fork. Add the remaing ingredients and stir. Place plastic wrap right on top of the dip to seal out any air. (Guacamole will turn dark as it is exposed to air.) Chill dip well, and serve with tortilla chips. Enjoy!
Try this Fresh Orange Guacamole, for a different twist.

9 comments:

  1. I love this - I make a chunky one as well - with some English cucumber. Going to try yours - love the spices. Nobody else in my house likes it! (Silly people).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love chunky guac. Mine is very similar. Actually I have 2 ripe avocados and planned on making some today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! I will add the garlic I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We always use a mix but this sounds too good now to try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This does look rather delicious! I have never made guacamole, but when I do, I think I will be using this recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. i LOVE guacamole, so much so that i rarely use chips--i'll sit down on the couch with a bowl and a spoon and go to town on the stuff. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Lynda, This is always a healthy treat. blessings, Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been eating guacamole right along with you, Linda :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh yum..I don't put tomato in my recipe..I will try it...thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!