Thursday, April 5, 2012

Strawberry Mousse

 Strawberry season is almost here and I can't hardly wait! I know, strawberries have been in the supermarkets for awhile now, but they are just not as flavorful as local, home grown berries. I've had this recipe for Strawberry Mousse bookmarked for awhile, trying to wait until I could get my hands on some beautiful local berries. But I became impatient this week. I made it with the store bought berries. And it was still creamy and delish. It has a nice creamy and light texture, just as I hoped. That means that it will be fantastic made with local berries! I had to add a bit more sugar, as my berries weren't as sweet as home grown will be. My husband was less enthusiastic about this recipe-he thinks it needs more cream! But he always buries his desserts in whipped cream, so I'm not sure his opinion matters here! haha!
This recipe is so easy. The hardest part is waiting for it to chill so you can eat it! Give it a try if you love strawberries like I do.
Strawberry Mousse
Adapted from a Family Circle recipe here.

Ingredients:
1 envelope unflavored gelatin- I used Knox gelatin
1/4 cup cold water
2 cups hulled, sliced strawberries
1/4 cup granulated sugar, plus 2 more tablespoons (my addition)
1 cup heavy cream, chilled
3 tablespoons confectioners sugar
strawberries for garnish

Directions:
1. Add water to small saucepan. Sprinkle the gelatin over the water and let stand for 1 minute to soften. Stir mixture over low heat until gelatin is dissolved, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat.
2. Placed hulled, sliced strawberries, all the granulated sugar and gelatin mixture into a food processor or blender. Whirl to puree. Pour into a bowl and chill until mixture just begins to mound when dropped from a spoon. I chilled it for about 30 minutes, although the recipe said to chill 1 hour. Don't over chill or the mixture won't fold into the cream easily.
3. Beat the cream and confectioners sugar in a chilled bowl until soft peaks form. Stir about 1/4 of the cream into strawberry mixture. Then gently fold in the remaining cream, just until combined, taking care not to over stir.
4. Spoon the mousse into 6 dessert glasses, dividing evenly. I actually had to use 7 glasses, and they were pretty full. Chill 2 hours before serving. I hope you enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. Another awesome recipe to try out, thanks to you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks wonderful. I haven't had Stawberry Mousse in a while. This recipe is on my list to try. Thanks for posting it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to make this, Lynda. And yes, waiting for it to firm up would be the hardest part!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It just sings spring. Happy Easter, Lynda to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i don't fiddle around with gelatin very much, but this looks like something worth the adventure--how lovely! happy easter, lynda. :)

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!