Wednesday, April 11, 2012

"Key" Lime Pie

 Cool, creamy, tart and extremely delicious; that's how I describe this wonderful pie. But don't be deceived, I didn't use real Key limes, because I couldn't get them. Every time I've looked for them lately, the supermarkets in my town were out. So I gave in and bought Persian limes. I have no patience is what it boils down to. If I can't find what I want, I find a substitute.
 However, this pie was still awesome. From the crisp graham cracker crust to the cool filling, I slowly savored each bite. My husband, on the other hand, wasn't as enamored with this pie as I was. That just left more for me! This pie was more tart than a real Key Lime Pie, so I'm going to continue my search for the real thing. Real Key Limes are a bit sweeter I think, than the Persian limes. I'll update this post after I've made the "real" thing.
"Key" Lime Pie
Adapted from Martha Stewart

Crust Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups graham-cracker crumbs
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
3 tablespoons sugar

Filling:
1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
4 large egg yolks
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice- Key limes if you can find them
1 tablespoon grated lime zest
1 tablespoon sugar- won't need this if using Key limes

Topping:
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
3 tablespoons powdered sugar

Directions:
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. In a bowl combine the graham cracker crumbs, butter and sugar. Press into a 9 inch pie plate, and bake for about 12 minutes. Remove from the oven and place on a wire rack and cool completely.
2. Lower oven temperature to 325 degrees. In a medium bowl, whisk together the sweetened condensed milk, egg yolks, sugar, if using, and the lime juice. Pour into cooled, prepared crust.
3. Return the pie to the oven, and bake until the center is set but still quivers when the pan is nudged, about 15 to 17 minutes. Let cool completely.
4. Before serving, combine the cream and 3 tablespoons powdered sugar in a large bowl. Mix with an electric mixer until soft peaks form, about 3 minutes. Serve with the pie.
Note: The pie cuts more cleanly if it is cooled in the refrigerator.
 Enjoy!

7 comments:

  1. One of my favorite pies and it looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I would give for a big slice of this pie right now - it looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Key lime Pie is my Favorite! love the flecks of lime zest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yum..a favorite. I had no idea thee wee different kind of limes! I buy mine 5 for $1!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm, cool and creamy - this looks real good. I bought some bottled lemon juice the other day and the store had a bottle of key lime juice, so you might look for it there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When the key limes appear in the stores, I always make this. The family looks forward to it. Love the use of the zest - zest is such a flavor burst! The pie is beautiful and all its lime glory!

    ReplyDelete
  7. sweetened condensed milk makes me happy. :)

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!