Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Oven Roasted Broccoli


Last year I began experimenting with roasting veggies in the oven and found that I loved them prepared that way! I've already posted Sweet Potato Oven Fries, so today I'm ready to talk broccoli. I love broccoli steamed; it's been my favorite for years, but when you roast it in the oven it gives it a new depth of flavor! Depending on how long you roast the broccoli, it can have a slightly nutty, sweet, caramelized flavor and the little buds get a little crisp and OH SO YUMMY!

Normally, when I fix Oven Roasted Broccoli, I just cut the broccoli and lay it on a pan, drizzle a little olive oil over it, sprinkle with kosher salt and bake it at 425 degrees for 10 -15 min. This time I decided to saute some garlic in the olive oil before hand and My husband and I loved the extra kick of flavor! I also added some Parmesan Cheese at the end, which was OK, but didn't affect the dish that much. I don't know if I'll add it next time.


Oven Roasted Broccoli

Wash 1 head of broccoli and drain thoroughly. Cut through stalks of broccoli and pull apart into the size of broccoli spears you want and place in a bowl. In a small skillet, in 2 T. olive oil saute 1 or 2 minced cloves of garlic (I used 1 large clove), until it just begins to get soft and you can smell the garlic. Pour the oil over the broccoli, stir, and dump the broccoli on a baking sheet. Arrange broccoli spears in a single layer and sprinkle with kosher salt. Bake at 425 degrees for 10- 15 min. until stalks are tender crisp when stuck with a fork. The flower buds should be beginning to brown. The aroma coming from your oven should be heavenly! Remove from oven and eat immediately! Or, you can add a little Parmesan cheese, give it a toss, then eat! Do you like roasting vegetables in the oven?
And a big THANK YOU to all of you who have commented on my blog so far! I appreciate you all so much!

2 comments:

  1. Lynda- I, too, love roasted veggies. My favorites to roast are carrots(they caramelize so well), red peppers, cauliflower, and brussels sprouts. The broccoli sounds wonderful too. Ill have to try them that way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lynda -- Check out my roasted broccoli recipe on my blog -- it's an adaptation of Ina Garten's recipe. The broccoli is roasted with just salt, pepper & oil, then dressed with a lemon-garlic vinaigrette before serving. It's the best!

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!