Thursday, February 12, 2009

Truffles!




I have wanted to make Truffles for along time, so when I opened the Parade Magazine out of Sunday's paper and saw this recipe , I knew I needed to make them now! Or at least this week since it is almost Valentines Day. This recipe is from Dorie Greenspan and was so simple to do and it didn't make a huge amount. Since I am a chocoholic, I didn't want tons of chocolate hanging around my house because I get tempted; and then I give in! I did add vanilla to the recipe and then I decided that I ought to make some with almond flavoring too, and I'm glad I did as they are wonderful! So to begin with, I toasted about 4 Tbsp. of sliced almonds. Actually, I burned them to a crisp, so I started over. When toasting nuts, don't leave their side; watch them closely as they toast really quick! So, I toasted 4 more Tbsp. of sliced almonds. Let them cool and then chop them finely and put in a small bowl. Next, I needed unsweetened cocoa


powder, so, I sifted some in another small bowl. After that is done you may start the Truffles.

Truffles


1/3 cup heavy cream


6oz. dark chocolate ( semi-sweet or bittersweet), finely chopped


2 Tbsp. butter, very soft


1/2 tsp. vanilla ( or 1/2 tsp. almond flavoring if making almond truffles)


unsweetened cocoa powder ( or toasted, chopped almonds if making almond flavored truffles)

In a small sauce pan bring the cream to a boil and pour it over the chopped chocolate; let set for a min., then whisk until mixture is smooth. Whisk in the butter and the vanilla completely; cover and refrigerate for about 3 hours, or until firm.


Scoop out teaspoonfuls of chocolate, then squeeze and roll them between your hands to form cherry sized balls. This is rather messy, and mine were not perfectly round because the chocolate begins to melt, so work fast! If the chocolate is too hard to roll, leave it on the counter for 20 min. or so, then roll. Roll balls in cocoa powder, shake off excess powder,and place on plate or in container. Cover and refrigerate until ready to eat! To make the almond truffles, add 1/2 tsp. almond flavoring to the chocolate mixture. Roll the chocolate balls into the chopped almonds

and place in an airtight container and store in the fridge. I made the Almond Truffles as I knew my husband would prefer them to the others. Both flavors are so creamy, they just melt in your mouth! I'm not sure which flavor is my favorite. I'm leaning toward the almond, but both are delicious! Give them a try! Just don't burn the nuts!







4 comments:

  1. You just can't beat truffles - they look incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look so rich and delicious! Sure to cure any chocolate fix. What a perfect recipe for Valentines Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your truffles came out so lovely! I recently spent some time making truffles and made a huge mess of my kitchen :)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks girls for your comments. The truffles were so creamy, but I did have a huge mess to clean up!

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!