Saturday, January 31, 2009

Pork Chops with Sweet Potatoes and Apples






I love skillet meals, the ones that all the ingredients go in one pan and it cooks rather quickly. Clean up is easy too! On busy nights one pan meals have been a life saver for me. This particular recipe is adapted from from an older Southern Living cookbook and is so flavorful and easy. You can sit down to eat in 30 minutes, unless of course you have interruptions! If you have children
there will be interruptions! I used larger pork chops than I needed, but I had purchased these pork sirloin chops on sale for $1.69 per lb., so this was a very economical meal. I browned them for a couple of minutes longer so they would get done. The recipe calls for apple cider, but I substituted apple juice and it was delicious. Hope you enjoy!
Pork Chops with Sweet Potatoes and Apples
4 boneless pork chops, about 1/2 inch thick
1 cup apple cider or apple juice, divided
4 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 in. slices
2 green onions, sliced ( I used 1/2 cup diced yellow onion and it was really yummy)
1 teaspoon dried sage
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 large sweet cooking apples, (I used Gala), cored and sliced
1 teaspoon cornstarch
Heat a large skillet on medium high heat and add 1 T. oil. Brown chops on both sides; remove chops from pan and set aside. Pour 3/4 cup of the apple juice in skillet along with the next 5 ingredients. Bring to a boil, cover pan with a tight fitting lid and reduce heat. Simmer for 10 minutes. Add pork chops back to the skillet along with the apple slices. Cover and simmer for another 10- 15 min. until sweet potatoes are tender and chops are done. The apples should be done but not mushy. Remove the pork chops, sweet potatoes and apples to a serving platter, reserving the drippings in skillet. Combine the reserved 1/4 cup apple juice and the cornstarch and stir until smooth; stir into drippings in skillet. Stir constantly until mixture thickens and boils. If the sauce gets too thick add a little more apple juice. Boil 1 minute and then pour over pork chops. We love the flavor of the sauce. The onions soften and kind of caramelize in the juices which adds a delicious sweetness to the dish. This time I also served green beans and crusty bread with the meal, as my husband was really hungry! Do you like to fix one pan meals?

3 comments:

  1. That looks like a wonderful dish for the winter. Love the combination. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love one pan meals, sometimes I'll roast a tri-tip and vegetables in a pan and call it dinner! This looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A wonderful winter dish. Especially now, with snow and cold wind all around -- looks yummy.
    BTW, I've passed on two blogger awards to you. Go to my site for info (judyskitchen.blogspot.com).

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!