Friday, February 27, 2009

Guacamole Dip

I have to say that I am very grateful that we have avocados to enjoy! They have a nutty, buttery flavor that is delicious in so many dishes. Some people shy away from making homemade Guacamole, but it is quite easy to prepare. Start with ripe avocados. Push your thumb against the skin and if the fruit "gives" a little, it's ripe. If it gives too much, it may be too ripe to use. Also, it's easy to alter this dip to your own liking. I use less onion in Guacamole than I used to back in the 70's when a friend gave me this recipe. Boy,does that make me sound old! Anyway this recipe originally called for 1 medium onion and that's too much for me now, unless Vadalia onions are in season. Vadalia onions are sweeter and very easy on the digestive tract. Today, I used just 4 tablespoons of diced red onion, so I have cut down. Just make it how you like it!

Guacamole Dip
2 ripe avocados, pitted and peeled
4 Tbs. finely diced red onion
1 or 2 diced jalapenos, Serrano's, or chili peppers ( I used 1 small chili)
1 or 2 ripe Roma tomatoes, seeded and finely diced ( I used 1)
1 Tbs. fresh lime juice ( or lemon juice)
1 finely minced garlic clove, if desired
1/2 tsp. sea salt
dash of black pepper
2 Tbs. or more of chopped cilantro

To cut an avocado, cut it length wise all the way around and pull it in half. It will have a large seed inside. If the seed doesn't release from the fruit easily, cut that half of avocado length wise again and pull apart. The seed will come out now. With a spoon scoop out the pulp into a bowl and mash well with a fork. Add the diced onion, peppers and tomato. Add the rest of ingredients and mix well. It's best if chilled for the flavors to develop. Put into a serving bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Place the wrap right on the Guacamole to keep the air out. The air is what turns Guacamole brown. When ready, serve with your favorite tortilla chips. If you have much of a crowd, you may need to double the recipe! Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by, I love your blog and want to make those biscuits soon. And a bunch of other stuff too! wonderful recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yumm. Love avocados. Love guacamole. I'm sensitive to raw onions also. Used to eat them raw as a kid. Sometimes I grill an onion, cut into 1" slices and then add it to salsa, cut up of course. A lot of the enzymes are destroyed when you cook onions, making them easier to digest. Amazingly, they taste great in salsa when they're grilled. I imagine the same principle would work with guacamole. Onions do impart a great flavor, whether they're cooked or raw, so this is one way to enjoy the added taste and texture without killing your intestines.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm. Your guacamole looks creamy and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love guacamole, but have never tried making it myself, you have convinced me to have a go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is exactly how I love guacamole--simply made with fresh seasoning.

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!