Thursday, February 19, 2009

Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes

I have been cleaning out the fridge and freezer the last day or two and discovering items I forgot I had. Some were good, like blueberries, some, were not so good. After contemplating what to do with my treasure of berries, I decided to make Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes. I love them! They are so light and delicious with a burst of blueberry flavor. If you haven't made homemade pancakes before, you should try these, as they are so much better than using a mix. Plus they are very easy! When my kids were younger, my 2 boys were very picky and wanted plain pancakes, but my more adventurous daughter liked blueberry. So, I began adding blueberries to the batter after I had poured it on the griddle so I could make half blueberry and half plain pancakes! Just pour the batter on the grill, ( and yes, the batter should be lumpy), and then

immediately add however many blueberries you want to the cakes. Push the berries down into the batter a little. You can even cover the berries with some batter if you want.


When the edge of the cakes looks dry and there are bubbles on top, just flip them over and cook until done. You may hear a little sizzling from the berries, but that's just normal. You may keep them warm in a 175 degree oven while you finish cooking the rest.


Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes

2 cups flour

2 1/2 tsp. baking powder

1/2 tsp. baking soda

3 Tbs. sugar

1/2 tsp. salt

2 large eggs, beaten

3 Tbs. oil or melted butter

2 1/2 cups of buttermilk

1- 1 1/2 cups of fresh or frozen blueberries

1 tsp. vanilla, optional ( I sometimes forget this and they're still good)

In a large bowl, mix the dry ingredients. In a smaller bowl add all the wet ingredients and mix together. Add the wet to the dry ingredients and mix well with a whisk or wooden spoon, but batter should be lumpy! Don't over mix or pancakes will not be light and fluffy! Add in blueberries, if using, and mix gently with wooden spoon. Batter will be thick. I use a 1/3 measuring cup to scoop up the batter and pour onto a hot griddle, (about 350-375 degrees if using an electric one). You may have to take a spoon and flatten the batter down a bit, and then let cook until edges are lightly browned and dry looking and there may be a few bubbles appearing on top. Carefully flip the pancake over and cook until done. If the batter gets way too thick, I just add a little regular milk and stir carefully. You may keep pancakes in a warm oven until you're done with all of them, but if your family is like mine, they like them hot off the grill and are standing in line for the freshest ones! This made about 4 inch diameter pancakes. If you want larger cakes use a larger measure. No matter what size they are, these blueberry pancakes are melt in your mouth goodness! Do you make pancake and what do you call them? I've heard them called hot cakes, griddle cakes, flap jacks, pancakes; are there other names you've heard? Let me know!



4 comments:

  1. I'm sorry that some of you had trouble leaving a comment; there was a glitch of some kind and my smart son figured it out!Seems to be fine now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's no secret that i'll inhale anything and everything that transports maple syrup into my system. these are my vehicle of choice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not so sure it was a problem with your blog that my comment didn't post, but more a case of my incompetence. I'm a bit of a technosaurus. :-)

    Your pancakes look scrummy, what a great way to use up those blueberries.

    Being English, I love the European style pancakes called crepes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lynda, I've given you an award. Stop by the blog and collect it sometime.

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!