Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Very Moist Bannana Bread with Walnuts

I cannot resist a big slice of Banana Bread, especially if it's moist and full of crunchy nuts. This is my Mother-in-laws delicious recipe. She preferred using Black Walnuts in it when she could find them and insisted that walnuts added to the moistness of this bread. While black walnut trees are common here, I preferr the english walnut, but either will work in this recipe. All I know is that this Banana Bread is delicious and I have a hard time stopping with one slice. I have already posted my Mothers recipe, but I wanted to add this one too, since I'm going through our family's recipes. This moist, sweet quick bread makes a large loaf. My MIL baked this bread in a 8x8 inch baking pan, but I used a loaf pan this time, which took about an hour and 20 minutes. Either way, I think you will enjoy it.
By the way, thank you for the well wishes-I am feeling much better and can finally taste food again. Eating is much more enjoyable when the food tastes good; now on to the Banana Bread!
Moist Banana Bread with Walnuts

3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups mashed bananas, about 3 large
2 eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla- I omit this
2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup buttermilk
3/4 cups chopped walnuts (or any nut of your choice)

Directions:
Grease and flour a large, 9 5/8 x 5 1/2 inch loaf pan, or a 8x8 inch cake pan. Preheat oven to 350 degrees (325 for dark pans).
Mix the mashed bananas, melted butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla together in a large bowl. In another bowl, sift the flour, baking soda and salt together. Mix dry ingredients and the buttermilk into the banana mixture. Pour batter into the prepared pan and place in oven. Bake about 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Let cool completely before serving. Wrap tightly in aluminum foil. Enjoy!

20 comments:

  1. It looks delicious - banana bread is a favorite and mine must have walnuts - black walnuts is someone will shell them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, how I love a slice of banana bread with my morning coffee!!! The problem is, I can't seem to keep bananas long enough to use them for baking! Bless my daughter's heart...I can literally buy a dozen bananas and they'll be gone within a few days. She's like a little monkey! The next time I'm at the store, I'm going to buy a few extra and hide them :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks great!!! I love banana bread and yours is perfect with the walnuts. YUM!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely bread, Megan. I have one I love, but have never added nuts to it. Will do the next time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. butter, buttermilk, bananas--there's no way this couldn't be outrageously moist! lovely work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nothing brings me closer to hearth and home than a banana bread. You've made me check my stash of bananas in the freezer. Looks so welcoming.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow that brings back memories. I can remember shelling the black walnuts my mom found at the kitchen table!

    ReplyDelete
  8. An excellent banana bread, I would love to try a version with black walnuts!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting blog and thoughts you got going on there!! Check out my blog sometimes when you get a chance. If you like my writing and what’s on there become my follower!
    http://lifemadness-linhy.blogspot.com
    omg everything looks so mouth watering right now

    ReplyDelete
  10. MMMMMMMMMM,...Your banana & walnut bread looks amazing & ooh so tasty too!

    I hope you are feeling better, my friend! Kisses( without germs) from Brussels to you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lynda, this looks so good!! I love how it doesn't have baking powder in it, makes for a more beautiful loaf and I think it helps to improve the banana flavor. YUMMMM

    Glad you're on the mend here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. ok, I want to make this, but all i have is plain flour or self rising flour, no baking powder... which do i use? also can i replace buttermilk with normal milk?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous, you will need baking soda for this bread, not baking powder. Also, plain old all purpose flour is used.
    You can use 1 1/2 teaspoon vinegar or lemon juice, mixed with 1/2 cup milk to replace the buttermilk. The vinegar sours the milk and it will work just like buttermilk in this recipe.
    I hope this answers your questions. Let me know if you need more help! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this bread!! I have baked it several times and it's perfect all the time!! Very moist and delish !! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thank you for leaving me a comment letting me know that you've made this. So glad you like it!

      Delete
  15. I made this bread last night, and it is so delicious! My husband said it's the best banana nut bread he ever ate! I made mine with pecans we picked from our yard (Louisiana).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky you Tricia to have pecans in your yard! Thanks for leaving me a comment; so glad you are enjoying our bread.

      Delete
  16. have made this twice now, and it is an amazing recipe, so moist and delish. Love it with my morning coffee. I was using the better homes and garden recipe for this, but this one is easier, and more moist. thanks for sharing. love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Glenda-I'm happy you like my family's banana bread and I appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment!

      Delete
  17. Thank you for this recipe. I baked it using 3 regular size banana's (didn't measure), I did add the vanilla as I love vanilla & I used buttermilk powder. Since only 1/2 c buttermilk was required I cut the instructions on the buttermilk container in 1/2 (it worked out perfectly!). I checked the bread after one hour and it was done, did not need the extra 15 minutes. I have to tell you that it was ever so yummy & truly lived up to the word moist in its' recipe title. My husband requested another loaf!

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!