Monday, March 7, 2011

Baked Creamy Chicken Taquitos

These are very flavorful, mildly spicy Baked Chicken Taquitos, and my photos are definitely not doing them justice. But everyone was hungry, so I took a few quick pictures before eating and thought I'd take more after the meal was finished. I forgot to mention that fact though and there were none left. Not a one. So, I am stuck with these bad photos until the next time I make them. And I will make them again. I found this recipe at The Sisters Cafe, and knew my daughter and husband would like them. These Baked Taquitos are spicy and creamy on the inside, and crisp on the outside. If baked long enough the tortillas will crisp, without having to fry them in oil. They go with any Mexican food coombination, and are easy to put together. I brought home a rotisserie chicken from the store and used part of it for this recipe. Here's how they are made.
BAKED CREAMY CHICKEN TAQUITOS
slightly adapted from The Sisters Cafe
1/3 cup (3 ounces) cream cheese
1/4 cup green salsa (salsa verde)
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice -do not omit this!
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder-I omitted this
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro- I only used about 1 T.
2 tablespoons diced green onions
2 cups shredded, cooked chicken- I used a rotisserie chicken
1 cup grated pepper jack cheese
small corn tortillas, or fajita size flour tortillas-I used flour
kosher salt
cooking spray
Heat oven to 425. Line a baking sheet with foil and lightly coat with cooking spray.
Heat cream cheese in the microwave for 20-30 seconds so it's easy to stir. Add green salsa, lime juice,cumin, chili powder, and garlic. Stir and then add green onions and cilantro. Add chicken and cheese and mix.
You can do this step early in day and keep it in the fridge.
Work with a few tortillas at a time and warm in the microwave until they are pliable enough to roll without cracking.
Place 2-3 tablespoons of chicken filling on the lower third of a tortilla, keeping it about 1/2 inch from the edges. Roll it up as tight as you can and lay on the baking sheet. Lay all of the taquitos on baking sheet,making sure they are not touching. Spray the tops of taquitos with cooking spray and sprinkle lightly with some kosher salt.
Place pan in oven and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until crisp and brown. Watch that you don't burn the ends. Dip them in salsa, guacamole, or sour cream. Enjoy!

12 comments:

  1. I've never made these but they sound delicious. Glad I'm not the only one who doesn't let making great pictures get in the way of eating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those baked chicken taquitos look scrumptious! I didn't know I could use tortilla this way. Thanks for sharing it!
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delicious, Lynda. This is a great way to use up the leftovers from a Costco chicken. It's amazing how many meals I get out of my $5. This is the perfect vehicle for quac and sour cream.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Cathy....perfect for guac and sour cream. They look so good....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those sound SO delicious...rich and creamy too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i rarely order taquitos at restaurants because they always seem to be more grease than anything else. i love your baked version and the fact that i can pack them with whatever i want!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love love love MExican Food. And I love that these are baked!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We love taquitos and never thought to make my own! I like that they are baked.

    I'm glad I'm not the only one that has to rush to get a picture before we eat. I have even added a new photo after then next time I made it and got a better picture. At least it's in focus!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look great, even if you didn't get to do a "glamor" shot of them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look so yummy cant wait to try them you have so many great recipes I am a new follower.

    Ashley
    www.thedailysmash101.blogspot.com
    my food blog

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I love these! I think I got the recipe from Our Best Bites. They are a family favorite!

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!