Monday, March 21, 2011

Tijuana Torte (a Mexican-style casserole)

While flipping through an old recipe book of mine, called "Some of the Best Recipes Ever Assembled into One Cookbook", I came across this Mexican-style casserole that I used to make often. While it wasn't a favorite of our kids, my husband has always loved it. Truthfully, it isn't my favorite Mexican casserole, but I do enjoy it as it has a layer of sour cream that really sets the Tex-Mex flavors off. I always put the canned tomatoes in the blender to pulse, because my family doesn't like chunky tomatoes in their food. Picky, I know, but I do what needs to be done to get people to eat! This easy casserole is layered like a lasagna and is mild in flavor. It calls for stewed tomatoes, which are somewhat sweet, but I sub diced tomatoes most of the time. Use whichever you prefer. I hope you enjoy this flavorful casserole.
TIJUANA TORTE
Ingredients:
1 pound ground chuck or ground round beef
1 medium onion, diced
1- 15 ounce can can diced tomatoes, or stewed tomatoes (I pulse them in the blender)
1 - 8 ounce can tomato sauce
1 -4 ounce can diced green chilies
1 package taco seasoning
flour or corn tortillas- I used 18 fajita sized flour tortillas,(6 for each layer), but any size will work
about 1 cup of sour cream
1 pound freshly grated cheddar cheese
1. Brown ground beef and onion in a skillet; drain off any fat from the meat. Add the rest of the ingredients to the meat, and simmer for 10 minutes.
2. Place 1/4-1/2 cup of mixture in the bottom of a 9x13 inch non reactive baking pan. Place a layer of tortillas over that.
3. Place about 1/3 of the meat mixture over the tortillas. Sprinkle with shredded cheese.
4. Add another layer of tortillas, and then a layer of meat sauce. Cover with more cheese; then dollop with all of the sour cream and gently spread out.
5. Lastly, cover with the rest of the tortillas, the meat sauce and the rest of the cheese.
6. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 25 minutes, until cheese is bubbly.
Remove from oven and let cool about 10-15 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
NOTE: I usually make this casserole in 3 layers, but it would work well in 2 layers, if preferred.

9 comments:

  1. That looks so inviting for our cold, rainy-turn-to-snow weather. Soothing, a bit of spice and and all the glorious melty cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thinking a layer of beans would be good in this, too. The recipe sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen, beans are really good in this casserole.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks amazing! I just posted my own Mexican style casserole too! :-P Great minds must think alike. I'll have to try your version soon! Thanks for sharing.

    Mandy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE that name! I want to make it just because of the name. :)
    Let alone all those fab flavors! Ooey gooey cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i call this mexican lasagna, but i tijuana torte has a much catchier ring to it! lovely work, lynda. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds perfect to me! I love just about anything mexican sounding :)

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!