Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Cheesecake Bars - an oldie but Goodie

I love cheesecake, but don't always want to take the time to make one. That's where these delicious bars come in. They have all the flavor of cheesecake, but are quick and easy to make. We love the light lemon flavor, but if lemon is not your thing, just leave it out and double the vanilla. This retro recipe was given to me by a highschool friend way back during our senior year. I'm talking 1971 baby! I've taken the liberty of doubling the amount of filling that was in the original recipe because, in this instance, more is better. I don't want to be cheated on my cheesecake fix, do you? Give these groovy bars a try today! CHEESECAKE BARS
Ingredients for crust:

1/3 cup brown sugar

1/3 cup soft butter

1 cup flour

Cream the brown sugar and butter together. Then blend in the flour until crumbly. Separate 1 cup for topping. Place the rest in a 8x8 inch ungreased baking pan and press down to make crust. Bake at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes. Remove from oven to cool.


Ingredients for filling:

2 - 8 ounce bars of cream cheese, softened

1/2 cup granulated sugar

2 eggs

4 tablespoons milk

2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

1/2 teaspoon vanilla

In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese and sugar until creamy. Add the eggs, milk, lemon juice and vanilla and beat well. Pour the cream cheese mixture over the crust and spread out evenly. Sprinkle the reserved flour mixture (topping), over the cream cheese filling. Bake at 350 degress for about 25 minutes. Cool and refrigerate. Cut into bars and enjoy!

16 comments:

  1. I want one of those bars NOW!!! Looks delicious and I love recipes from years back. I go years back too! My senior year was 1975.......was it THAT long ago??? lol....

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I did not have to make a cheesecake for my husbands birthday, I would definitely make this. Then of course I saw the dulce de leche bars- they look so darn good. (your link to them is broken btw- you have http written twice.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I go back so far you don't even want to know. These cheesecake bars will be added to my list of favorite desserts. Thank you lynda.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy crust for one thing...and another...the lemon in this would be simple and fresh. Much rather have cheesecake in bar form!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just made a cheesecake last weekend. Bars are good, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another tasty looking treat!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A goodie for sure!! How splendid!
    You have a lovely blog and I am so happy I found it!
    By the way, the cinnamon rolls from your previous post look scrumptious! :)

    xx,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  8. A terrific quick to make treat! Love the crust/topping!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can see why these are an oldie but, a goodie. This is perfect when you crave the texture and creaminess of a cheesecake, without al the hassle. Awesome.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like this recipe and love that you doubled the filling. These look and sound delicious. I think they'll be moving from your kitchen to mine very soon. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  11. groovy indeed! i personally love the crust-to-cake ratio here--this is a keeper for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm with you on the cheesecake thing - too much trouble & too expensive to make often and you're right - this is an oldie but goodie. Some of those 70s recipes are my most favorite ones to be honest! Hope you have a beautiful week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks super delicious...love that topping!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love cheesecake and this looks perfect for a potluck! I will have to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lynda I made them and posted on my blog with a link to yours. I was in Cheesecake Heaven!!!! Thanks for a great recipe!

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!