Saturday, January 30, 2010

My Mother's Banana Bread - for Family Recipes

When I was small, one of my favorite food memories was my Mother's Banana Bread. I loved the aroma as it baked, loved the golden crust as it came out of the oven and I loved the taste of the soft, moist banana bread and crunchy pecans. It was a special day when Mom baked this bread. After the bread cooled, Mom wrapped it carefully in foil and placed it the the cabinet where it was supposed to set until the next day. She wouldn't let us have a bite! I admit, the bread is moister the day after it is baked, so I guess that was Mom's reasoning. I have to admit though, that more than once I climbed up to the cabinet and got into the Banana Bread! I was such a brat! I am submitting this recipe to Shelby at The Life and Loves of Grumpy's Honey Bunch, for January's roundup of Family Recipes: Memories of Family, Food and Fun. This event is hosted by Shelby and Laura, from The Spiced Life, and myself. Hope you enjoy!

MY MOTHER'S BANANA BREAD

3/4 cup sugar
3 large bananas, mashed
3/4 cup shortening (or unsalted butter)
2 eggs, beaten
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cups chopped pecans

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, mash the bananas; add in the shortening, eggs and sugar and mix well. Stir in the flour, baking soda, salt and pecans until just mixed. Pour batter in a greased and floured loaf pan. Bake for about 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in bread comes out clean. Let bread cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Then invert banana bread onto the rack to finish cooling. Wrapped tightly in foil or plastic wrap. Or, slice and enjoy a big piece of scrumptious Banana with a cup of coffee or tea! Have a great week, my friends.

17 comments:

  1. Your banana bread looks seriously yummy! Perfectly baked!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your mum's recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL, your so funny! I would probably have been a little brat too...I love banana bread fresh out of the oven with a little bit of crust and melting butter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When it comes to banana bread, I would have been right there, encouraging you, so that I could have a piece as well! Thank you for sharing this favorite recipe. Hugs to your mom for bringing us such a dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like my mother's banana bread. I never could make it like she could. (But she didn't torcher us like your mom did!) lol! That was a nice story to go with it. It looks wonderful...mmmm I can smell it now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. bah! i do hate when i'm forced to wait for my food--i'm all about the instant gratification. however, there are some things (banana pudding comes to mind) that are just better the longer they sit. great recipe, lynda!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lynda, Thank you for posting this terrific Banana Bread recipe. No matter what I do, I always have two or three bananas that go "south" and get over-ripe before I get around to using them. It might be I over buy, but you can't just buy two banana... I'd be running back to the grocery store 4 times a week.

    So, I will soon be baking a loaf of your mom's delicious looking bread. Thanks...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think all mothers have this banana bread recipe that we all die for....heehee

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is worth climbing into the cabinet! Sounds and looks like a delicious recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nothing says "home" like that banana bread. Welcoming, moist and there is no way I could wait a day. My mother would have needed to hide it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Family recipes are the BEST, this looks like a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is up there for me with chocolate cake and pound cakes.. I love banana bread and trying new recipes for them! Thanks for posting. I know I will be trying this!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum! Actually, banana bread is one of the only things I remember my mother making when I was quite young. She put whole fresh cranberries in it, which is the way I still make it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gotta love family recipes! You banana break looks perfect

    ReplyDelete
  15. Our mom's recipes are the best! And most of them are in their heads, so you gotta get them down on paper.

    Banana bread is a fave around here. Love your mom's recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have just tried the recipe--looks great going into the oven--doubled up on it so I hope that it bakes through!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous- I have never doubled the recipe, so please let me know how it does.

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!