Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Tortellini Soup

There's nothing like a hot bowl of soup when you've been sick and it's cold outside to boot. I was wanting soup to eat the other night, but didn't want to spend too much time with it. I remembered this recipe that I had bookmarked, so decided to give it a try. With just a few ingredients, including purchased ravioli, it packs plenty of flavor and was plenty filling for me. It goes together very quickly, which is an added bonus. I hope you'll give it a try.

TORTELLINI SOUP
slightly adapted from The Well-Fed Newlyweds at Tasty KitchenBold
Ingredients:
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 of a small onion, diced
1 large carrot, peeled and diced- my addition
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried basil-my addition
1 quart low sodium chicken broth, or stock
15 ounces small diced canned tomatoes-they used whole tomatoes
salt and pepper to taste
9 ounces tortellini, fresh or frozen- any variety (I used cheese filling)
3 cups fresh baby spinach
Parmesan cheese for topping

In a large pot heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until softened. Then add the garlic and stir for about 30 seconds until fragrant. Add the oregano, basil, chicken broth, and tomatoes. Bring the soup to a boil and add the tortellini and cook according to the package directions. One minute before the tortellini are done, season with salt and pepper and add the spinach. Stir to combine. Dinner is now ready. Enjoy!


20 comments:

  1. Good idea to use the tortellini in a soup

    ReplyDelete
  2. This reminds me of a cypriot soup, which is made from a kind of tortolini which is filled with haloumi. Delicious, there is something great about finding big tasty pieces of filled pasta in your soup!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's cold and rainy here today - I wish I had a bowl of this soup.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like tortellini in the soup...a very soothing and tasty meal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is one of my favorite "comfort me please" soup - yours looks so colorful and has to cure what ails you. I love seeing those plump tortellini in the broth.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks great, we just got back from Washington DC, ate way too much and too heavy. This looks like the prefect comfort food

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a wonderful soup - hope you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gosh that looks good, Lynda. I bet it freezes like a dream too. I always like to have soup in the freezer in case I feel too awful to cook!

    ReplyDelete
  9. what an aromatic soup you've made--the smells going up the nose are matched only by the flavors going down your gullet! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now that's a good looking soup! I was rainy here in Florida today...perfect day for soup!

    ReplyDelete
  11. If I wasn't having company this weekend for my kids' b-day party, I'd most definitely be making this! A nice bowl of soup sounds really good right about now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful soup. I love the way you have used the tortellini. ave a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great & tasty idea! It is quick & easy to use store baught tortellini's too!

    MMMMM;,...love it to bits!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love spinach in soup. This sounds really good. I'll have to look for some tortellini!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I made a similar soup a long time ago. It's so good I'll have to try this version.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks amazing. I'm bookmarking ; )
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've been down with a cold for like two weeks now, and would have enjoyed a bowl of this wonderful soup. Gosh, this looks good. Love its easy preparation and homey flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Making this soup as I type. Thanks for sharing your recipe. Already smells great!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Tortellini soup is delicious. Another favourite of mine is Italian wedding soup!

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!