Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Korean Beef Rice Bowl

I saw this dish recently at Steamy Kitchen and wanted to try it soon, and I'm so glad I didn't wait! My photo isn't as good as Jadens, but the meal was certainly excellent. Once you have all the vegetables chopped and the beef sliced, this meal comes together in just minutes. That is if you are not working around a 14 month old granddaughter who is trying to pull stuff out of your cabinets. She didn't take her planned nap, so meal preparation was a bit challenging, to say the least, with a very active and curious toddler around. But back to this meal- it's one of those lick the bowl clean type of dishes. Judging by the groaning that was coming from my husband, I knew he loved it. The sauce that the beef is marinated in is delicious; sweet but yet it's got so much flavor from the garlic and fresh ginger. I've got to make it again this week because it keeps calling my name! Here's what I did.

KOREAN BEEF RICE BOWL
slightly adapted from Steamy Kitchen

2 cups dry rice, your preference, cooked

1 pound beef, I used top sirloin, sliced thin

2 tablespoons soy sauce-I used low sodium

2 teaspoons sesame oil

1 teaspoon grated ginger

1 clove garlic, minced

1 tablespoon brown sugar 1 tablespoon cooking oil

1/2 of an onion, diced

1/2 cup of carrots cut into matchsticks -recipe calls for 1 cup

1 small zucchini, diced

2 handfuls of fresh spinach

1 tablespoon of toasted sesame seeds

Directions:

Put your rice on to cook first, using whatever kind you like. The vegetables can be prepared a day ahead if desired. If doing them at time of meal, have them chopped before you begin cooking. Slice beef very thin, across the grain. It can be prepared several hours in advance also.
Mix the minced garlic, grated ginger, sesame oil and brown sugar together in a bowl. Pour over the beef and let marinate.
Heat a wok or skillet to medium heat. add the 1 tablespoon oil and the onion and cook for a couple of minutes. Turn up to high heat, add beef and cook until barely an pink left. Add the carrots and zucchini and stir fry for about 1 minute. Add the spinach and cook just until wilted. Stir in the toasted sesame seeds. Serve this over rice. Enjoy!

20 comments:

  1. I went over to steamy kitchen. I think they both look terrific and I know I am making this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This really looks delicious! It's so colorful and I can imagine how good it is. Funny with your granddaughter; can't wait to have a grandchild!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your rice bowl has made me hungry. This looks delicious. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, first off the photo is top notch! That dish looks perfect, I can't wait to make it! Thanks for sharing!@

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks delicious and like it wouldn't take much more time than going for takeout. I'm hoping I'll have a little grandchild in my kitchen soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've used many of my favorite ingredients in this wonderful dish, Lynda. I love this type of cooking, especially when it's so quick to put together (unless you have a toddler in the kitchen) What fun that you get to watch your granddaughter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish I didn't have to cook for dinner and just grab yours off from the screen!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks delicious - I love every ingredient used!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a delicious bowl - the flavors are just fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't think I've ever known a kid who didn't love to pull out pots and pans! Why we ever buy them toys is beyond me! :)

    This looks wonderful, Lydna! Fabulous ingredients and what a lovely presentation!

    ReplyDelete
  11. those toasted sesame seeds make this for me--you don't expect those little suckers to pack so much flavor!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love Asian-esque food (I grew eating N. Indian food)...and so rice and veggies are essential. Your dish sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, love Korean beef and this bowl sure look so yummie...so tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow this is scrumprious, would love to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've not seen Jaden's photo but your photo looks wonderful. I love these types of dishes! Another bookmarked.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hint: Nobody's photos are as good as Jaden's, ha ha.

    Looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks and sounds really good. I love how quickly these type of dishes come together. I wish I had my granddaughters "bothering" me in my kitchen LOL

    ReplyDelete
  18. It takes a smart foodie to cook Jaden's recipes. They are good. Looks like you did her proud.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It is so funny to see this here! I have this planned for dinner tomorrow evening but am using venison. Grumpy is home until after Monday so I actually have a reason to cook a meal!! When I saw this on Jaden's site I knew immediately I would be trying it. I love her recipes!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really want to try this one out. It really looks so delicious and healthy.

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!