Wednesday, August 11, 2010

The Best Blackberry Cobbler!

According to my family, this is the best cobbler ever. I've tried others but my family has always wanted this one. I found this recipe in an old church cookbook that I have had for about 35 years and it never fails to please. I have used wild blackberries in this cobbler that my daughter's boyfriend picked for me from his grandfather's farm. Such a nice young man don't ya think!
Anyway, this cobbler is delicious. The topping is thick when stirred together and then it is spooned evenly over the hot fruit. It may not look like there is enough topping, but as it bakes it rises and spreads across the berries. When done, the topping is crusty on top, and sweet, buttery and dense underneath. It is not biscuit like. Whether served as is, or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, this blackberry cobbler is a winner. You may of course use other berries. The topping is sweet, so I use less sugar in the blackberries, leaving them somewhat tart to balance out the sweetness of the topping. But go by your own tastes. Other berries may take more, or less sugar. Here's the recipe.

THE BEST BLACKBERRY COBBLER!

You will need;
3-4 cups fresh or frozen blackberries, thawed (any juices saved)
1 cup juice from the berries, or water or combination of both (See note below)
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/3 cup sugar- more if fruit is too tart(you need to taste it after fruit and sugar is mixed)
Mix the juice and cornstarch in a large saucepan. Add fruit and sugar and heat until it begins to thicken. Pour into a 9x9x2 inch baking dish.

Topping;
1 cup sugar
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, melted
Mix all ingredients together well. Mixture will be thick. Spoon evenly over the fruit in the baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes, until the topping is done. Insert a toothpick into the topping; if it comes out clean, except for juice, it is done. If the topping still seems gooey, then bake a few minutes longer, and test again. Enjoy!

NOTE: When using frozen berries that have thawed, you will have juices that you need to save to use in the filling. When using fresh berries, you may not have enough juice to use, so then you will need to use water in place of juice.

20 comments:

  1. If the family loves it, then it is the best!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sure looks delicious, so I can imagine the taste.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love those blackberries and your cobbler looks delicious! I like the way the topping is thick and how it completely covers the berries. Way to go, this is a must try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Warm cobbler topped with melting vanilla ice cream is my all time favorite dessert. I can't wait to make fresh peach cobbler when the crops come in in a couple of weeks. Love the thick topping on this recipe. Yum

    ReplyDelete
  5. Scrumptious dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this is just the recipe I've been looking for. The topping looks fantastic. This and a scoop of vanilla ice cream...heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aren't those church cookbooks the best things! Top my cobbler with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream, please :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a tempting treat; your cobble looks perfectly baked! Blacberries are my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i hate the seeds in blackberries--they really make it difficult for me to enjoy delightful treats like this. the topping is excellent, though--bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love cobblers and a blackberry cobble can bring me to my knees. Your recipe sounds perfect. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wish some nice young man would pick some berries for me. We love cobblers. This looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Berry cobblers makes me sing - does summer get better than this! Just scrumptious and calling for me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. He does sound like a nice young man! The cobbler is beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. hm...the top just didn't bake through and i had to resort to a plain crumble dough thing. ughh. not what I had hoped...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry-when cooking time is through, be sure to test the topping in the center with a toothpick, just like you would a cake. You may get some of the juices too, but when the crust is done, it won't cling to the toothpick. So sorry this didn't work for you.

      Delete
  15. Best since my Granny's
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know-I love comments!

      Delete
    2. Your recipe was a hit for Sunday School treats last Sunday! Several of the "best" cooks were asking me for the recipe. I have modified since how I assemble your ingredients. I mix flour, baking powder, & sugar, sift to remove any lumps, gently stir-in melted real butter, pat-out to approximately size of baking pan, doing so on parchment paper--then placing in freezer for about 10 minutes--chills out the butter and dough handles perfectly. Then, while on the chill, I fix the berry filling, place in my baking dish, fetch the firm dough, cut into manageable squares/strips and gently lay on top of the berry filling. The finished product has a really crusty/snap-in-the-mouth crunch right on the top layer. Since I do not like berry dumplings, that is why I changed the assembly of dumping in dollops of dough on top of berry filling.

      Delete
    3. So glad that you gave this recipe your own twist and it turned out so well! Even though I do the crust like dumplings, it still turns out crusty and delicious on top. Your version is probably better looking. It sounds like you are one of the better cooks in your church now- thanks for leaving feedback :)

      Delete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!