Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Greek Style Couscous Salad

It is so hot here that I haven't been cooking much. When it's 100 degrees out side I'm not really inspired to add very much heat to the house, just so we can eat. Thankfully this salad was so quick. I've also made it with lemon garlic chicken sliced on top for a main dish salad. It is delicious and I'll be making it as long as this heat stays, and longer. I used Far East brand of couscous, which is one of the few that are available here. I used the plain couscous, but the flavored ones would work too, I'm sure. Here's how I made it.

GREEK STYLE COUSCOUS SALAD

1 package (7 ounce)of Far East plain, couscous
Cook couscous according to package directions. I added salt and pepper to the water. Bring the water to a boil; add the couscous and remove from heat. Cover and let sit for 5 minutes.
Mix together 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice and 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Pour over couscous and fluff with a fork. Cool.
Add;
1 cup, or more, diced cucumber -seeds removed
1/2 cup diced red onion
1 diced tomato
chopped fresh herbs-I used about 1 T. basil and flat leaf parsley together
Stir ingredients together and chill before serving. Top with Feta Cheese. Enjoy!

NOTE: This would also be good with zucchini, peppers or olives.

11 comments:

  1. HmmHmmmmm so delicious, if i had the ingredients I would have made this

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grand way to use my cucumbers. Hot here but not unbearable - the garden likes it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Refreshingly delicious salad. Nice to be here. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this is a salad I could really love! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is one of my favorite hot weather meals. I love couscous because it's so versatile and healthy. Lovely salad, Lynda.

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a perfect summer salad. i've never eaten couscous quite like this, but it looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This really does look delicious. I love this type of salad during the dog days of summer. This is a wonderful way to use cucumber. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Lynda,
    Thank you so much for joining me @ "My Kitchen in the Rockies" today. You also have a wonderful blog.
    Let's visit soon.
    Kirsten
    Couscous is also a staple in my kitchen. My son would eat it every day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think the more veggies, the better for me. Add them all. I have had only hot couscous, though now I am looking forward to trying my first cold couscous salad.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Boy don't I know what you mean about the heat! Couscous is not something that appears around her much, but this sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds like a perfect salad for a hot summer day!

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!