Wednesday, August 18, 2010

French Toast with Blueberry Sauce

I had a craving for French toast this week, and I also had some blueberries that either needed to be used or put in the freezer. This recipe for French Toast came out of one of my Mother's cookbooks and I've used for years. I prefer using French Bread or a similar bread as it has a firmer texture after being cooked than sandwich bread does. This time I used Walmart's french bread since there were no better options from my store. It works very well for this recipe though. Slice the bread on the diagonal, about 1 inch thick, dip it in the egg mixture and turn over and dip other side. This bread soaked up the custard quickly, but a coarser bread may need a bit longer. The egg mixture is easy to increase if you need to make more quickly. I use one egg to 1/3 cup of milk. I doubled that this time and got 8 slices of bread out of it. This will fluctuate, depending on the bread you use and whether or not you let it soak. We enjoyed this treat for breakfast, but of course it's good anytime of day. Here's my method.

BLUEBERRY SAUCE

1 pint of fresh or frozen blueberries (2 cups)

2/3 cup granulated sugar

3/4 cup water

1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

1 tablespoon cornstarch

Add berries, sugar and water to a heavy bottomed sauce pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer about 10-15 minutes. Mix the cornstarch and lemon and add to the berries, stirring quickly so the cornstarch is incorporated. Cook for 1 minute longer, until sauce is thickened. Remove from heat. Sauce will thicken more as it cools.
NOTE: This sauce is also delicious as a topping on ice cream or served with lemon or pound cake!

FRENCH TOAST

1 inch slices of french bread, or bread of choice

2/3 cup milk

2 large eggs, well beaten

pinch of salt

1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon vanilla

Heat oven to low heat and place a baking sheet with a metal cooling rack on it, in the oven. This is needed if you are cooking several batches of French Toast, so that the toast will stay hot and crusty on the outside.
Mix together all ingredients in a bowl.
Heat a large skillet or griddle over medium heat. I use my electric griddle on 325 degrees, or sometimes my cast iron griddle for smaller amounts.. Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in the pan. Take 1 slice of bread and lay it in the egg mixture, turn over on the other side, and hold it up and let the excess drip off. Place soaked bread in the pan. Repeat with more bread, but don't crowd it in your pan. Cook the bread until golden and then turn over. Adjust the temperature of you griddle if necessary. When done, place the cooked french toast in the oven to stay warm, and finish cooking the rest.
To serve, slather with butter and top with Blueberry Sauce, or maple syrup. Mmmmm, this is amazingly good and will put you in a great mood the rest of the day! Enjoy!
Whats your favorite topping for French Toast?

12 comments:

  1. My goodness, that looks decadent! Now that the kids are gone (they hated french toast) I'm able to try recipes like this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Decadent is the same word that popped into my mind when I saw the picture. I can only imagine how good that was.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Berries and French Toast are such a natural pairing. The sauce is gorgeous - shiny, bubbling with sunshine flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i like a good portion of french toast, but that luscious blueberry sauce MAKES this dish for me. lovely, lynda!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like the perfect breakfast to me!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made a similar recipe just the other day - we loved it! The blueberry sauce is so good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love French Toast as it is called ...but to me its Eggy Bread. I love it as a savory with a dash of Worcestershire sauce and a sprinkle of crispy bacon.... and the proportion of egg to milk is different ...about 3 eggs to that amount of milk....another breakfast variation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love French Toast. This looks awesome

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love breakfast!!! And this looks amazing. Thanks for sharing this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can eat French toast for breakfast every morning. It is so comforting and satisfying.
    I love your blueberry sauce. I make berry sauces like that too but don't add cornstarch - but I will start.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a nice treat for breakfast...French toast and homemade blueberry sauce...lovely combination!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't had french toast in forever. My dad made an excellent one. Yours look very good especially topped with the blueberry sauce. I'm thinking blackberries. :)
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!