Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Stacked Chicken Enchiladas - an easy cassarole

My week has been busy with an ill granddaughter to help with, and then my husband got sick, so I really haven't cooked much. I hope next week is healthier. But I do have a recipe to share. Would you like having a yummy chicken enchilada casserole recipe that is fairly easy to throw together? A rotisserie chicken is called for in this recipe, which cuts down quite a bit in the casserole's preparation. Of course, you can used leftover baked chicken, or even turkey, if desired. A delicious, spicy, but mild sauce is layered between roasted chicken, corn tortillas and Monterrey jack cheese and baked for 15-20 minutes, which makes it easy enough even for a week night meal. This is supposed to be a 30 minute meal from Cook's Country, but I went over a few minutes. I like the smaller size of this casserole as it's not so huge for a smaller family. But it packs plenty of flavor! My husband prefers actual enchiladas to this casserole, but I don't always have time to make them. This dish is a delicious substitute, so I hope you'll give it a try.

STACKED CHICKEN ENCHILADAS
adapted from Cook's Country
1 tablespoon canola oil
1/2 onion, chopped fine
3 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 (8-ounce) cans tomato sauce
3/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 (4-ounce) can of chopped green chilies
1 rotisserie chicken, skin discarded and meat shredded ( about 3 cups of meat)
2 cups shredded Monterrey Jack cheese-recipe calls for Mexican cheese blend
12 (6 inch) corn tortillas
1. Place an oven rack in middle of oven and preheat oven to 400 degrees. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium high heat and saute onion until soft, about 5 minutes. Add chili powder, and cumin and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in the chicken broth, salt and tomato paste. Cook until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Cover and keep warm.
2. Toss the chicken, 1/4 cup sauce, 1 cup cheese and green chilies in a bowl. Tortillas are supposed to be softened in a microwave, but mine were fresh and soft, so I skipped this step.
Now, spread 1/2 cup of sauce in the bottom of an 8x8 inch baking dish. Lay 4 tortillas over the sauce in the baking dish. Cover the tortillas with half of the chicken mixture.. Top chicken layer with 4 more tortillas, and then cover with half of the sauce mixture. Cover with remaining chicken mixture, then the last 4 tortillas, and the rest of the sauce. Cover with the remaining 1 cup of cheese.
3. Place a piece of foil tightly over the baking dish and bake about 15 minutes until heated through. Remove the foil and bake until the cheese is lightly browned, about 5 minutes. I let it cool about 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
NOTE: If you prefer a spicier dish, you can used pepper jack cheese as a substitute.

22 comments:

  1. That looks so good! Love that thick cheesy layer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favorites and this sounds so good. Hope everyone is feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, thank you, Lynda. This is exactly the recipe I'm looking for. We have a very busy weekend ahead and I want something prepared ahead of time so I can put dinner together quickly. With a green salad this will be perfect.

    Have a wonderful holiday weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is my kind of casserole! It looks and sounds fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would have to make this without the chicken but I think, adding a veggie would make it work, also. Fantastic recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lynda, that looks super yummy, my husband is a Mexican Food fiend! I will have to make this for him. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a recipe quite similar to this one. I actually like your version better than my own. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lynda, love the idea of one pot meal...and this chicken enchilada is just perfect :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. easy and SO good--i love spicy tex-mex things like enchiladas, and turning them into a casserole is brilliant. good work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope you're all feeling better soon.

    I love this recipe... everything about it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry to hear about the family members being under the weather. But this enchilada casserole is the tops, I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. what a great recipe! My girls love mexican food and this would certainly make my life easier, and give them a delicious meal!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope everyone's feeling better by now, Lynda. I love recipes like this...using rotisserie chicken makes them quicker to make and those chickens are just as good as any we could make.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A super delicious casserole! Hope everyone will be feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've seen plenty of these "stacked" style recipes and have yet to try any. Yours makes the list. It sounds easy enough. Just hope I'm not going to agree with your husband, because all that rolling takes so much longer ; )
    Hope you are all well by now.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey there, long time! Things have been really crazy on my end - I totally will not give up family recipes but I have to be settled in my new home before I can start about doing it again - that is if your still interested?

    Enchiladas look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. SOrry about everyone being under the weather!

    This is a wonderful recipe. Perfect for rushed dinners before practice. Thanks!
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  18. I can't wait to make this....we are big fans of chicken enchiladas...delish!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This looks (and sounds) so delicious! I'm bookmarking these enchiladas for the cooler months ahead. :) And you have me *really* craving Mexican food now!! :P :)

    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  20. Stacked is SO much easier than making the enchiladas - and they taste the same! Looks and sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Loving the recipes! The tuna casserole was great. Tonight I'm trying your hamburger stew and oatmeal/chocolate chip muffins! Thanks for posting all this!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  22. OMG! This recipe needs to be cooked and eaten. NOW.

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!