Monday, July 26, 2010

Garden-Fresh Chicken and Rice

To me, chicken and rice is comfort food. I saw this recipe in Cook's Country and decided to try it even though it had so few ingredients. I wondered how good it would really be. The rice is partially cooked in chicken broth in the microwave, while the chicken breasts are sauteed in butter in a skillet. The two are then combined with the vegetables in the pan and it truly is a 30 minute meal. This dish is easy, delicious and is perfect for a busy weeknight meal. It is a very satisfying meal for a family. I've made it twice so far, because I like it and my husband requested it again. So therefore I share it with you. Hope you enjoy! GARDEN - FRESH CHICKEN AND RICE
slightly adapted from Cook's Country

2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 cup long grain white rice
salt and pepper to taste
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, all about the same size (about 1 1/2 pounds)
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 small zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced thin
1 cup carrots, sliced thin- recipe calls for fresh or frozen corn kernels
3 green onions, sliced thin
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, my addition

1. Combine rice, 1/2-3/4 teaspoon salt and 1 cup chicken broth in a large microwave safe bowl. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and microwave on high for 6-8 minutes, until the broth is completely absorbed. While rice is cooking, pat chicken dry with paper towels. Season with salt and pepper. Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a large heavy bottomed skillet over medium heat. Cook chicken until golden on each side, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer chicken to a plate.

2. Melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter in the empty skillet. Cook zucchini and carrots, or corn, until browned, about 3 minutes. Don't overcook the zucchini.. Transfer the vegetables to a bowl. Now add the partially cooked rice and the remaining 1 cup of broth to the pan, along with the thyme if using, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and return the chicken back to the pan with the rice. Cover and simmer until rice is tender and chicken is cooked through, about 12-15 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate and add the vegetables back to the pan with the rice. Stir into the rice along with the green onions. Plate the rice and vegetables. Thinly slice the chicken breasts and serve atop the rice mixture. Enjoy!

NOTE: The butter is essential in the recipe, in my opinion. The chicken and rice both get much flavor from it, so I don't think it would be a good idea to use oil. Maybe if you included some herbs, it would work. The thyme I added was good, but not really necessary, because the butter is really enough.
Both corn and carrots are good in this dish.

12 comments:

  1. For me too! And this looks truly great with seasonal veggie and tender chicken!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meals like this are what I used to make all the time when my kids were little. Tasty, easy to make and everyone loved them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great meal, comfort food for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cooks Country is my favorite cooking magazine! That looks yummy, those are my two favorite foods to combine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Deborah, Blogger has given me fits with this post-random words have turned up as stars. I'm trying to fix it! Thanks for visiting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum.. I was just looking for some way to use up some zucchini and this looks like just the ticket!

    ReplyDelete
  7. when i saw your title, i thought 'garden-fresh chicken? how interesting and odd!' but now i see what you mean. looks great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks great to me. The chicken looks nicely cooked.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds totally moist and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a really good mid-weeknight meal. A pretty light and healthy dish too. I like it!

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!