Friday, March 26, 2010

Orange - Blueberry Yogurt Bread - and a reminder for March's Family Recipes!

I've been going through my freezer and pantry, tyring to use of some of the food that I've stashed away. I still have blueberries from last summer that I need to use, so I wanted to make a blueberry bread that was just a bit different. I settled on an orange quick bread recipe and added blueberries to it. It is a wonderfully flavored quick bread and would be a great addition to an Easter brunch, or for anytime you have a craving for a delicious blueberry bread. This makes a large loaf of bread, which took longer to bake than the directions. I'm assuming that was because of the addition of frozen blueberries. To keep the bread from browning too much, I laid a piece of foil over the pan the last 15 minutes or so of baking. The next time I make this bread, I will add the glaze while the bread is warm, rather than waiting until it cools. I'll also add a few more blueberries and maybe another teaspoon of orange zest. I love the way the orange and blueberry complement each other and the texture of this yogurt bread is almost like a pound cake. This dense, orange flavored bread dotted with tangy blueberries is perfect with a cup of coffee or tea for anytime of the day. We love it!

Just a reminder that the deadline for submitting a recipe for March's Family Recipes Round-Up is March 31! Don't forget; you can find all the rules here.

Italic ORANGE - BLUEBERRY YOGURT BREAD

adapted from Pinch My Salt


2/3 cup butter, softened

1 1/4 cup sugar

2 large eggs

1/2 cup plain yogurt- I used Greek yogurt

1/2 cup orange juice

1 teaspoon orange zest

2 1/2 cups all purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 1/4 cups frozen, or fresh blueberries


GLAZE:

1/2 cup confectioners sugar

2-3 teaspoons orange juice

Mix together and pour over warm or cooled bread bread.


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until fluffy- add eggs, one at a time and beat thoroughly. Stir in the yogurt, orange juice and orange zest.

In another bowl, mix the flour, soda, baking powder and salt. Add to creamed mixture and stir until flour is just combined. Gently fold in the frozen or fresh blueberries, taking care not to smash them. Batter will be thick. Pour batter into a greased 9x5x3 inch loaf pan. Original directions say to bake 55-65 minute, but it took 75 minutes for mine. When done, cool for 10minutes in pan. Then remove bread from pan. Glaze while warm if desired. Have a big piece with a cup of coffee. Enjoy!

NOTE: The bread is rather crusty the first day, but softens some by the next day. Delicious either way!

17 comments:

  1. Looks wonderful. I love anything with blueberries, and this bread sounds perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious Lynda - I love breads like this and I really love blueberries!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! This is something I would have for breakfast in the mornings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love blueberries, but have never used them in a bread. Looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The yoghurt cake looks gorgeous! Love the addition of blueberries!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lynda, Lynda, my friend, this looks so good! Oh my, orange and blueberries...Excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmm, looks good! How'd you get your blueberries to float? My berries sink faster than the titanic!
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for stopping by everyone!

    Ingrid, This bread batter is quite thick, so therefore the berries didn't sink,like they may in a thinner batter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful bread Lynda! The blueberries look perfect in there!

    ReplyDelete
  10. more blueberries, more orange, more glaze! yes indeed, you'd better hurry up and use last year's bounty--it's almost time for the new crop to come in! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Blueberries and oranges...what a delicious combination. I think I have some berries in the freezer that will be perfect. Your loaf looks so tasty, Lynda.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mmm, great flavours! I just recently did a tally of what fruit I have left in mine too. Time to use it up!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lynda, This is a beautiful bread. Blueberries are so good for us. I am loving your blog and your recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yum that looks fantastic, I love the orange glaze, thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lovely combination! Your bread is just gorgeous. I hope you had a wonderful weekend. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  16. Marvelous recipe, Lynda! I just wish I had the makings right now so I could have it for breakfast tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That cake looks so delicious. I love the flavor combo!

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!