Monday, March 15, 2010

Old - Fashioned Blueberry Muffins (My Favorite!)

I love these Blueberry Muffins and have been making them for years. My family enjoys these scrumptious muffins as much as I do and they tend to disappear quickly. They are tender, cake like muffins laced with nutmeg and are perfect for breakfast or brunch, or with a cup of coffee or tea for an afternoon break. Either fresh or frozen berries may be used; however, the dough is rather thick when mixed, so gently fold all the ingredients together to keep from breaking the berries. Since I had some of last years berries still in my freezer, I decided to use some in this yummy recipe. They are delicious, so let me share the recipe with you.
OLD - FASHIONED BLUEBERRY MUFFINS
from an old Women's Day Magazine
2 cups flour
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries (unsweetened)
2 large eggs
1/2 cup milk (I use 2%)
1/2 cup melted butter
1/4 cup sliced almonds for topping, optional- or
1 tablespoon sugar for topping, optional
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray muffins cups with cooking spray. In a large bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and nutmeg. Add the blueberries and toss gently with the flour mixture. In another bowl, beat the eggs well; beat in the milk and melted butter. The mixture may look curdled, but only because the butter may solidify in small flecks. Add to the blueberry mixture and stir gently, only until blended. Fill muffin cups only 2/3 full. Sprinkle with sugar, or the almonds, being sure to press almonds slightly on dough. Bake at 400 degrees for about 15-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. I get 13 muffins. Enjoy these wonderful Blueberry Muffins for a special treat!

25 comments:

  1. These muffins are gorgeous. BTW-so are your plates. I have a similar recipe I use all the time with the exception of the nutmeg and the addition of sour cream. Never had a blueberry muffin with nutmeg in it. Must give it a shot. I always love the old tried and true recipes from years gone by.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These blueberry muffins look perfect for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic way to start the morning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look absolutely perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh..this is beautiful. Let me check whether I still have blueberry in my fridge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perfect for breakfast and I bet they freeze well too. Love the sugar sprinkled on top!

    ReplyDelete
  7. And they're laced with nutmeg. Love everything in them. Book,marking this. I have some frozen blueberries from last summer to use up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love blueberry muffins. Yours look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. When all is said and done, it's really hard to beat a blueberry muffin in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmmm....my favourite. Yours look so perfect. Wish I can have one!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i can tell even in two dimensions that these are the kind of blueberry muffins i prefer--not TOO crumbly, but crumbly enough. not TOO soft, but the perfect degree of crunchy on top. excellent. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum! I love old recipes. There's something about the way these muffins look, especially their tops, that makes them extra appealing :).

    ReplyDelete
  13. Blueberry muffins are my favorite muffins in the whole wide world!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Excellent recipe for blueberry muffins! I like the idea of almonds for a topping, will give that a try!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Blueberry muffins for the breakfast would wake up any sleepy soul! Almond---that's the extra icing for the cake!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your muffins look so yummy on your gorgeous blue plates!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks fabulous! I am so glad I discovered your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks very similar to my blueberry muffin recipe that belonged to my Mom. Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You won me at "cakelike" which is a quality I am now looking for in muffins. Will definitely be trying these! YUMMMMMM

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the nutmeg in these. They look so pretty on your nice china. Makes me want to join you.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What beautiful photography...yummy muffins too. Blueberry muffins just never fail!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love blueberry muffins too and love having blueberries I have picked in my freezer for whenever I want to make them :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have to say, blueberry muffins are one of the few cakes I really can't resist, these look scrumptious. You don't do muffins by mail by any chance? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I just found your yummy blog through Cook Eat Share! Everything looks & sounds so delicious! I'm bookmarking these muffins & hope to make them soon for the family. I'm always looking out for new muffin recipes. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!