Monday, March 8, 2010

My Mother's Goulash - for Family Recipes

My Mother was a very busy woman when I was a kid. My brother and I grew up in Colorado on a ranch and my Mother wore many hats, if you will. In other words, she had many jobs. When I was very young, she cooked for the hired men on the ranch, making huge man pleasing meals everyday at noon. She raised a garden, chickens, ducks and she sometimes drove a truck during harvest or feeding cattle, if needed. She had to have some quick meal ideas to fall back on. She went to work when I was in the 5th grade as a secretary at the small school that we attended, so she was always very busy. Goulash, as it was called in our family, is one dish that my Mother would make on really hectic nights. It is typically a hamburger, tomato and macaroni dish that is easy to make and you only need about 30 minutes in which to prepare it. I loved this meal as a kid. Mom sometimes added cheese to the top and she often made biscuits and cooked green beans from her garden to go along with the meal. I hadn't made this dish for quite awhile when I made it a couple of weeks ago. My daughter was overjoyed! As a kid, she loved it as much as I had when I was young. It's still a great dish, easy to prepare and full of flavor. Chopped bell pepper can be added to it as well as cheese, if desired. I know that a lot of families have a similar recipe, maybe going by a different name. Does your family make this tasty dish?

NOTE, 2012: I'm adding this note to my post since this has become such a popular post. I grew up in the 1950's and 60's, and that was a very different time than now. When my mother went to work, she still made dinner every day after she got home from work. People cooked back then; it was a priority. We didn't have fast food places in our nearby town, so we spent our meal time around the family dinner table. Quick, economical meals like this were a lifesaver for many moms. Good memories.

This recipe is my submission to March's "Family Recipes: Memories of Family, Food and Fun", which is hosted by me this month. If you have a family recipe that you'd like to share, please send it to me by March 31st. Check out all the rules here. Any dish that's a family favorite with memories attached will work. We would love to hear from you. This event is hosted by Shelby, from The Life and Loves of Grumpy's Honeybunch, and Laura, of The Spiced Life, and myself. March is my month to host. Don't forget!


MY MOTHER'S GOULASH
from Lynda's Recipe Box

1 pound lean ground beef

1 small onion, diced

1 or 2 cloves garlic, minced

1/2 bell pepper, diced- either red or green(optional)

1 -15 ounce can small dice tomatoes

1 - 15 ounces can tomato sauce

2 teaspoons sugar

2 cups dry macaroni, cooked according to package directions

salt and pepper to taste

cheese for topping, if desired

Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook the macaroni. While pasta cooks, brown the ground beef that has been seasoned with salt and pepper. Drain beef well and remove meat to a bowl. In 1 tablespoon oil, cook the onion and bell pepper if using, until softened. Add the canned tomatoes, tomato sauce, and sugar. Add the ground beef back to skillet. Cover and cook about 15 minutes. Remove lid and add cooked macaroni. Season with salt and pepper, if needed. Toss well and add cheese, if desired. Enjoy!

34 comments:

  1. Such a comforting and delicious goulash! Thanks for sharing this special family recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, my mom's goulash was so similar. When I first saw the photo I said, hey that looks like my mom's goulash! She added beans to hers, and she called it goulash too. Nice memories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bless your Mom! That looks wonderful - simple and filled with home-taste. Yes, that's in my future for a hectic weekday. Loving these old recipes. They're actually new.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for sharing those memories, lynda, as well as a tasty recipe. this is a dish i know and love even though we never called it goulash. comfort food to the extreme!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, my Mom used to make this, and we call it goulash, too. She would mix it all up in a pan then put it into a casserole dish and bake it until the edges were nice and crispy. I have to make some of this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great recipe.
    Your mother sounds like a strong woman so I'd definitely trust her with this recipe ; )

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love family recipes and the memories that go with them. My mother used to make goulash too, but I have long ago lost her recipe. Will definitely try yours!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks delicious and one of my favorites too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow..you mom must have been a saint...a busy saint!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, I think this was a standard recipe in the 60's as my mother also had made this for us for many years. My mother was a single working mom and she cooked quickie weeknight meals too. Your picture took me right back to my youth too ;0. Thanks for the warm and loving memories.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My gramma's goulash looked exactly like this and was made the same way. We loved it. Sometimes she would melt american cheese in it. It was great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lynda I am going to make your mom's recipe. I grew up with my mom making goulash often however she never really had a "recipe" for it. This looks a lot like ingredients in my mom's so I can't wait to make this!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks delicious...perfect for a hungry family!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have never seen pasta in a goulash before - but why not? Looks and sounds delish

    Mmmm,I will need to get my thinking cap on for your family recipes challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My mom was not a cook my dad. Was but she did make goulash but. She never should me what went in it it was good and I have been wanting some for so long I know there wasn't much in it cause we were very poor but this looks like it I know it was a little sweet so I am going. To try yours I just hope it is cause it was so good thanks do u have any more. Resape u can share

    ReplyDelete
  16. My mom made it just about the same way and until now I could NEVER find anyone that made it the same and called it goulosh. It was one of my favorite things she made as a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  17. To both anonymous comments- I hope you tried this recipe and it was close to what you are wanting. Thankyou for your comments!

    ReplyDelete
  18. If the picture is anything to go by, the recipe is going to be delicious to eat. Kudos to your mom!

    ReplyDelete
  19. My grandmother called it slumgullion.... I have no idea why. Never heard anyone else call it that. My grandmother was also a wearer of many hats in my grandfather's logging business in Aroostook County Maine in the 1930's. This was a favorite in the mess tent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never heard it called that either. I think many families have a similar dish like this.
      I imagine the lumber camps in 1930 were a very hard place to be. Your grandmother was quite a woman!
      Thanks so much for stopping by and sharing!

      Delete
    2. Nana, it was so exciting to hear your grandmother called it Slumgullion...That was what my Grandmother called it, I was raised on this and my children and grandchildren love it and call it Slumgullion. Thanks for the memory!!

      Delete
    3. It means cheap stew if I remember correctly. I used to hear my Granny say the same thing. She passed away at 103 years old back in 1973. She was the strongest woman I have ever known!

      Delete
  20. Looks delicious. My mom makes a similar recipe. Instead of the bell pepper she adds celery and corn. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I grew up eating this, and now make it for my great-grandson. My recipe is the same, except for the sugat and green pepper. I have joined your blog. Patsy

    ReplyDelete
  22. My mom made it this exact way and we called it goulash too. (I grew up in the 60's) I still make it for my family. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tonya, thanks for stopping by! Isn't it funny how such a simple dish can have so many good memories?

      Delete
  23. I make goulash all the time. I grew up poor so it was a quick and cheap meal. Some people call this hamburger mac, which to me is mac and cheese and hamburger mixed lol I only use tomatoes and tomato sauce and of course seasonings. I love eating sandwich bread w butter on it on with my goulash. My daughter asks for it all the time, and my husband had never had it till I made it for him years ago and now its one of his favorite meals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment! I think this is my favorite comfort food from my childhood- thanks for sharing your memories too.

      Delete
    2. bread and butter is a must with goulash. yum

      Delete
    3. bread and butter is a must with this dish.

      Delete
  24. I just made this and it is delicious~ very much a comfort food meal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tammy, I agree about the comfort food - this makes me remeber my childhood fondly. thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  25. I just ran across this recipe from a friend's page who shared it. It also brings back memories. My mom went to work as a school cook at a small private school when the youngest of 5 went to 1st grade there. The head cook made goulash once a week and everyone loved it. At this school, once 1-8 had all gone through, everyone could go through the line for 2nds until it was gone. This school made home made rolls daily, cinnamon rolls once a week, and home made cakes...everything was cooked from scratch. My mom became head cook a few years later and still uses a lot of the recipes from the original head cook, just had to scale them down a bit...well, a lot! Thanks for the memories and the recipe...will be trying tomorrow night.

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!