Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Creole Pork Chops and Spicy Rice - from Da Cajn Critter Cookbook

Several weeks ago, I won the cookbook, da cajn critter, The Lifestyles, The Rules, and Makin' Groceries, from Dave at My Year on the Grill. Dave did a great review of this cookbook and made several recipes which you can read about here. Dave and his wife have now moved to the Vigin Islands, and I'm so jealous! But I was excited to add another cookbook to my collection and I eagerly read it when it arrived. This is a fun cookbook to sit down and go through. Written by Pamela D. Lyles, it is a wonderful book for any home cook that enjoys Southern food. At first, I was disappointed because there are no photos, but the recipes in this book have plenty of directions and are easy to make. This is a collection of her families recipes through the years, and I found some that my family also claims.
There are recipes with the relatives name attached to the dish, such as Aunt Pitty Pat's Blinz Casserole, and Pablo Miller's Caesar Be With You salad. I love it! There are a number of grilling recipes, as well as favorites like Sally Rue's Tuna Casserole. Of course there's also Jambalaya, Boiled Shrimp and Crayfish Boil and lots of other Southern favorites. And there's many great sounding desserts, such as Fruity Coconut Pecan Bread Pudding, and Mom Hinnant's Red Velvet Cake. I started with Creole Pork chops and Spicy Rice, as I need a fairly quick meal for my husband and I one hectic day. This was a delicious meal. The pork chops were very moist and wonderfully seasoned from cooking in the spicy rice. I only made half a recipe, since there was just my husband and I. I will be making it again in a couple of days. The chops are browned in a skillet, and then the rice and rest of the ingredients are added. While it is supposed to cook for 45 minutes or so, mine was done in 30. But that could be because I made half of the recipe. I used less oil than called for, and used cayenne pepper in place of hot red pepper sauce. Also, I used canned tomatoes instead of fresh, because tomatoes right now aren't that great. I hope you'll give this dish a try!

CREOLE PORK CHOPS and SPICY RICE
from da cajn critter, The Lifestyles, The Rules, and The Makin Groceries
4 tablespoons oil, divided - recipe calls for 1/2 cup oil
1 cup uncooked white rice
3 cups canned diced tomatoes - recipe calls for fresh tomatoes
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 small yellow onion, diced
1 clove minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon fleshly ground pepper
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper- recipe uses 1/2-1 teaspoon hot red pepper sauce.
6 pork chops, cur 1 inch thick- make sure you use thick ones!
salt and pepper for seasoning the pork chops
1/4 cup water- I used more water, about 3/4 cup
Heat 2 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add the rice and reduce heat to medium. Saute rice for a minute or so, till golden. Stir constantly. Remove rice to large bowl and stir in the tomatoes, bell pepper, onion, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and the hot sauce. Return skillet to burner over high heat. Season pork chops with salt and pepper; add 2 tables oil to skillet. Brown chops in hot skillet about 3 minutes per side, until brown. Spoon the rice mixture over and around the pork chops. Add the water. Cover pan and simmer for 45-55 minutes until rice is tender. I served this with green beans and rolls. Enjoy this tasty skillet meal!



18 comments:

  1. Sounds great and looks delicious! I just had pork chops yesterday :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a super cookbook, the only negative being no photos, which I always like. Lucky you to have won it.
    And this recipe looks great! You have photos! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. although i mourn when a cookbook is photo-less, the title of this one is enough to draw me in. :)
    this sounds like a great meal--i'm always in the mood for a chop!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks maaavelous. A quick and tasty week night dinner. I think if a cookbook has well explained recipes, photo-less is not a problem. I do so enjoy it more if there are photo's to drool over.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a shame the book has no photos, only because books that have none tend to be overlooked. The pork chops and Cajun rice you prepared looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Photos are great in a cookbook but, if it's well written, it's OK. The dish looks excellent! Love Creole cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a tasty and comforting meal.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love a good one-pot meal and this one looks delish. I'm one of those who tends to make the recipes with the good photos. I wonder how many fantastic recipes I've overlooked.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Creole pork chops sound fantastic, excellent flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks right up my alley, especially since I'm a Cajun Critter from Louisiana and have "made groceries" many times~! I will try this one out. And guess what, I made your stuffed pepper recipe, AGAIN, tonight for dinner and it came out great, once again. Thanks for sharing the great recipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you like my peppers-thanks for the comment Mandy.

      Delete
  11. My mouth is watering for this! Boy does it ever sound good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mmmm, this sounds like a meal my family would love to dig into, er claim too!
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Lynda, thanks for your visit.The rice recepi is very good, we make something similar.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lynda, Thanks for the wonderful review of my cookbook. Glad you are enjoying it ! Wanted to let your readers know that I am running a 25% off special for Easter and Passover. All they need to do is go to www.dacajncritter.com ; click on "Got a Coupon"; enter username "crittercoupons" and password "save25." I'll get it shipped to them immediately. Many thanks again for the glorious review !!!
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is very similar to one I make called Fiesta Pork Chops. Same technique but different flavor profile, so I KNOW I will be making this very soon. Congrats on winning the book from Dave. I might have to take Pam up on her offer.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is almost exactly like one of my all-time favorite recipes that my mother made for us when we were kids. It was a recipe that my mom got from a Campbell's tomato soup can (in the 50's or 60's) because it called for 1 can of tomato soup instead of the tomatoes. I noticed that the rice is redder when the soup is used. Delicious recipe, and the pork chops come out fork tender!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed this dish. Those Campbells recipes from the 50's and 60's were popular in my house too. My mother worked full time, so they were quick meals to make.
      Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!Hope you'll be back often.

      Delete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!