Friday, August 28, 2009

Ultimate Double Chocolate Brownies ( or How to Satisfy Your Chocolate Craving!)

Do you crave chocolate, or more precisely, brownies! Well, don't resort to a mix when you want those thick, gooey, chewy, decadent bars that we know as brownies! No! If you keep some basic ingredients in your pantry, you can have these yummy bars anytime you want. Many brownie recipes call for certain extra ingredients that you may have to purchase before you can make a recipe. But these are basic brownies that you can dress up or leave plain, and they will satisfy you every time! If you will keep cocoa and butter and some other basics on hand, you'll be ready to make these anytime the craving hits. The recipe does call for chocolate chunks, but I've made them without, or, I've subbed chocolate chips, or nuts or M&M's. When my kids were young, I always made them plain as that how they liked them. They are awesome anyway you make them! I use this recipe when I make brownie sundaes with my homemade Cocoa Fudge Sauce.

Ultimate Double Chocolate Brownie
Source: Not sure, possibly Taste of Home
3/4 cup cocoa
1/2 tsp. baking soda
2/3 cup melted butter, divided
1/2 cup boiling water
2 cups sugar
1 1/3 cup flour
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup chopped pecans, optional
2 cups semisweet chocolate chunks, or chocolate chips (I usually use less)
In a large bowl combine the cocoa and soda; blend in 1/3 cup of the melted butter. Add the boiling water and stir til blended. It may get thick which is ok. Stir in the eggs, sugar and rest of butter. Add flour, salt and vanilla. Stir in chocolate chunks and pecans if using. Pour into a greased and floured 9x13 inch pan. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 35-45 minutes. Remove from oven and cool completely before cutting into bars. Yea, right! I don't think we've ever let them cool that long, unless I was taking them elsewhere to be eaten. I bake them for 40 minutes in an air bake pan, but it will depend on your oven and the pan you use as to how long it will take for the brownies to bake.

These brownies will have a light crust on top, a result of the cocoa, I think, but the center will be moist and chewy, as you can see from the photo. I have other brownie recipes, but this is my standby. This time, I used chocolate chips instead of the chunks, and sprinkled the nuts on top before they went into the oven. I added some more chocolate chips about 2 minutes before the brownies were done, but they didn't stick; they just fell off. So don't do as I did! But, make these yummy brownies; you'll be glad you did!

25 comments:

  1. Those look over the top delish! I hope you'll wing by and join in the recipe swap over at momtrends:

    http://momtrends.blogspot.com/2009/08/friday-feasts-tomato-salad.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. i haven't made these in ages - cannot wait to get back into them now that autumn is here and i can heat up the kitchen again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness do these look good!!!!!!!!!!!! I ordinarily do not have a big "sweet tooth", but brownies and cookies are my weakness!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Double YUMMY-licious with all that chocolate! Look fudgey good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks like MY TYPE of brownie--thick and fudgy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks good for breakfast right now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whoa! Those are insanely sinful...I'll take a couple :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are my kind of brownies! Are there any left?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chocolate craving?? Um yeah, like EVERYDAY!!
    Brownies are a total weakness

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't love brownies as the rest of my family does. I do just adore chocolate, however, so I'm not completely from outer space!

    ReplyDelete
  11. yep, do look awesome. suggestion: try olive oil instead of butter. it will surprise you...promise. go for at least 60% dark chocolate, too. healthy indulgence.
    www.calorey.blogspot.com
    the writing gourmet

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum! Double chocolate! That's so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. soooo fudgy! they're the perfect base for an ice cream sundae, to which i would definitely apply more chocolate in the form of sauce. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Talk about a chocolate fix :-). These look and sound delicious. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  15. These look AWESOME! And I agree that it's easy to make brownies from scratch and they taste WAY better than a box mix.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh that's what I call a decadent dessert. With some vanilla ice cream, mmmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  17. Double-chocolate, excellent! Those brownies sound fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think I have a chocolate craving at least once a day! These would definitely satisfy that. They look wonderful and so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  19. These brownies look soooo chocolate...yummie!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Do I crave chocolate? That is a rhetorical question around here. And now I am really craving chocolate. Double choclate in fact. Double wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  21. These look totally decadent! I'm not much of a sweet eater but I could definitely go for one or two of these right now. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You have an amazing blog!! I discovered it a few months ago while searching the web. I have come back to it over and over again for your yummy recipies. Every single one has been a success. Tonight my husband was asking for brownies, I knew I didn't have a mix but I always have baking basics in the house. So I turned on the computer and knew right away to check out your site. The recipe is easy to follow and now they are baking in the oven. Can't wait because I know they will be delcious! Thanks! You do an amazing job!

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!