Thursday, August 13, 2009

My Favorite Chicken Salad (so far)

I used to have a friend that made the best chicken salad sandwiches, better than any I had eaten before. Her secret? She baked her chicken! And she didn't add large amounts of mayo to make it sloppy. It was, just perfect, with nuts, mayo and chicken. As time has passed, I've added the other ingredients to it. But I still like to bake the chicken breasts, as it adds a depth of flavor that boiling can't. The crunch of the nuts and the vegetables is a delicious contrast with the chicken, so it makes a wonderful sandwich. Of, course, you can alter the ingredients to suite your own tastes. I use bone in breasts and take care not to over bake them and dry them out. Here's my recipe for delicious Chicken Salad.

MY FAVORITE CHICKEN SALAD (so far)

3 bone in chicken breasts ( this made about 4 cups of diced meat)

1 stalk of celery, diced (1/4-1/2 cup)

1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts

1 heaping cup of red seedless grapes (cut in half if very large)

1 T. diced red onion, optional (sometimes I use onion powder instead)

1/4 cup diced red bell pepper, optional

1/2-3/4 cup mayo; start with a lesser amount and add more only if you need it

2 tsp. Dijon mustard, optional

salt and pepper to taste

Bake chicken breasts in a 400 degree oven until done. When pierced with a fork the juices will run clear. Mine were done in about 35 minutes. I t will depend on how large the chicken breasts are as to how long they bake. Remove from the oven and cool completely. Once cool, remove the meat from the bones and dice and add to a large bowl. I had 4 cups of meat, but it may vary.
Add the rest of ingredients and mix well. Start easy with the mayo and add more or less, according to your preferences. Refrigerate for several hours before serving. Serve on some good rolls or on lettuce lined plates.




17 comments:

  1. Lynda, this looks divine!! How terrific this would be right now for me!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This will be very tasty. And lots of eye appeal too! With the colors of the grapes added to the red pepper makes a normally all white dish colorful.

    I like to add a half a diced granny smith apple to mine for a bit of crunch and tarty sweetness. Love your blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmnn..I've never done chicken salad like this before! It looks mighty tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's nothing better than chicken salad on croissants! My Mom has always added grapes and I think that makes such a difference! Unfortunately I'm allergic to nuts, but I will definitely try this recipe, minus the pecans!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chicken salad on a croissant? You have no idea how much I am drooling right now. I love adding grapes to my chicken salad too. Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never tried baking the chicken instead of boiling, but that makes alot of sense.

    ReplyDelete
  7. a good chicken salad must contain grapes, and that's all there is to it. i tend to like mine a little less mayonnaise-y, but i love the ingredients here. i can see why it's your fave!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks incredibly good. I'll be trying this really soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A scrumptious looking sandwich! I love the idea of baking chicken and also the addition of nuts! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yumm. This looks delicious, especially on that croissant. I sometimes add grapes, and sometimes I add sweetened dried cranberries or cherries. But my fave version is with celery, apples, walnuts, dried cranberries & basil, kind of like a chicken waldorf salad with herbs. I like to tear the chicken rather than cut it, because the tearing helps it to grab more sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can see why this would be your favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lynda, I love the Chicken Salad I get at a local lunch shoppe - I think they put pesto in theirs, no walnuts, but they add the grapes and serve it on croissants. I have tried to replicate but I don't ever get it to taste like theirs. Your recipe looks pretty yummy though. I may try yours and then take a portion and toss some pesto in it to see if it can taste like theirs! ;-) Oh, BTW, I am BACK! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree that baking the chicken is definitely the secret. Boiled chicken breasts don't have any flavor. We are having your grilled stuffed chicken tonight. I can't wait and neither can my husband:)
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for your kind comment about how I've been missed. I also turned 50 in my absence, so knowing I've been missed makes me feel good. LOL
    And...I love chicken salad. And I love croissants. And I'm thinking....mmmm...this looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my.... your chicken salad with the croissant looks so scrumptious! I want!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Man that looks good, I had never thought of adding grapes, great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  17. our grapes are ripening, and i simply can't wait to make this - another beautiful looking meal

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!