Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Spicy Sauteed Tilapia with Cherry Tomatoes

I found a recipe for sauteed fish recently that sounded so easy and delicious. It came in real handy this week, as I've started baby sitting with my granddaughter as of yesterday! Her momma had to go back to work, so I feel privileged to care for her. And since I haven't taken care of babies in such a long time, I thought this weeks meals had better be easy to prepare.
The hardest part of this recipe is just cutting the cherry tomatoes in half and mincing the garlic and herbs! The tilapia took about 5 minutes to saute and the tomatoes much less than that, but this dish had great fresh flavor. The original recipe called for olives, but I didn't have any, so therefore I used lemon to add a nice tang. We loved it!

Spicy Sauteed Tilapia with Cherry Tomatoes ( adapted from Epicurious)
1 pound tilapia fillets, thawed, if frozen
3 T. olive oil, more if needed
1 1/2-2 cups of cherry tomatoes, halved
2 T. chopped fresh parsley
1 T. chopped fresh Greek Oregano
1/4 tsp. dried, crushed red pepper
3 cloves minced garlic
juice of 1/2 lemon, or to taste
Feta cheese
In a large skillet over medium high heat, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Salt and pepper the fish fillets and lay in the skillet. Let them brown about 2 minutes, until they turn white around the edges. Carefully flip fish over with a spatula. Cook until the fish flakes, about another 2 minutes. This will depend on the thickness of the fish. Remove fish to a platter and keep warm. Add more oil to the skillet and add the minced garlic and the crushed red pepper. Stir until fragrant, but don't brown. Add the tomatoes and the herbs. Stir until heated through and then stir in the lemon juice. Pour over the fish and serve topped with Feta cheese. Enjoy this easy and flavorful dish. I will be making this one again!

19 comments:

  1. How lovely and simple. I have to try adding feta, I like it a lot in salads, but have never tried it with fish

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delicious! I love the addition of spice and feta here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's so bedecked with spices and tomatoes and cheese, i might not realize i'm eating fish before the entire serving is gone!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This I can definitely do. There are lots of Tilapia on our market here...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love tilapia!!! I really like all the flavors in the dish....sounds delicious and the feta is a special touch!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great use for leftover feta! This is also a wonderful example of using your imagination to improvise a recipe. Who needs the exact ingredients? I'm going to feature this recipe next month on www.tilapiablog next month. Let me know if I can use your image!
    Thanks,
    Lela

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely, simple recipe. This looks absolutely delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the simpleness of this recipe. Tilapia is my hubs favorite fish- he will love this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This does sound delish! I really like Tilapia and those popping flavors must be delicious on top. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We've been buying Tilapia quite a bit lately...for the longest time, all I really bought was salmon. I think my husband would love the "kick" to this dish!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great grammy you are! this is a great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lynda, what a mouth watering picture! It has to be one of your best yet. Love all those vibrant colors. Wish I enjoyed fish because this looks FANTASTIC! (Fintastic?!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love Tilapia and am always looking for new ways to prepare it - this recipe looks fabulous! Can't wait to try it! BTW - my name is Lynda also :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. That looks very delicious. Light and tasty, perfect for summer.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Delicious, light meal! I love how quickly fish cooks, so I'm trying to incorporate it into our weeknights more often. The dish looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm doing this. Love tilapia and the cherry tomatoes are fresh and it's still summer! And I want a summer meal! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my goodness Lynda your posts make me so hungryI wanna eat everything in sight.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks lovely, and it just so happens I have a whole bunch of cherry tomatoes fresh from the garden, so I'll be giving this one a whirl.

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!