Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Country Pumpkin Muffins

I know it's not fall yet, but we've had some unseasonably fall like weather recently which has had me craving certain comfort foods. And at the farmers market a couple of days ago I saw sweet potatoes, winter squash and just a few small pumpkins! I didn't buy any yet, but it made me remember the canned pumpkin in my pantry that I hadn't used. And I hadn't made these muffins for a few months so I remedied that real quick. These Pumpkin Muffins have become a family favorite since I first made them last year. My son downed about 5 of these moist and spicy muffins when he spied them! His girlfriend gladly took some home with her also. It's a good thing this makes a large batch! These tasty muffins freeze well; I just wrap them individually and place in freezer bags in the freezer. At this rate though, I'm not going to have any left to freeze!

Country Pumpkin Muffins ( adapted from Allrecipes)
ingredients:
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups pumpkin, canned or fresh (there will be a little more than 1 1/2 c. in the can, but I just use all of it)
3 eggs
1/2 cup water
3 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. salt
nuts or sugar for sprinkling on muffins tops
Directions:
In a large bowl add the sugar, eggs, oil, water and pumpkin and beat well. In another bowl, combine flour, baking powder, soda and spices and blend into the pumpkin mixture. Do not over mix. Spoon batter into greased muffin tins, or paper liners, filling about 3/4 full. If desired, sprinkle tops of muffins with course sugar or chopped nuts. Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for about 15 minutes. This makes about 27 muffins, which is a good thing in this family!
These muffins are so moist and addictive! Yes, you can add nuts and raisins to the mix, but my family won't eat them if I do, so I adapted the recipe to our tastes. Enjoy!

18 comments:

  1. Lynda- the same has been happening here with the weather and craving of fall like comfort foods. Pumpkin tops my list of fall flavors I crave- this recipes looks wonderful. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good thinking. I have a leftover can of pumpkin that needs to be used up too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lynda, this DOES sound so very good! Will save for cooler weather. Nothing like a beautiful muffin with melted butter. Such warm and happy flavors in this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know if I'm ready for fall yet, but I'm always ready for recipes like this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hear you on being ready for fall, it's so hot and humid here I'm so looking forward to cooler weather. Your muffins look terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I stumbled upon your blog and I'm so glad I did! These muffins look killer :) I love the coarse sugar on the top, adds an element of crunchiness!
    Happy Baking to you!
    -Mini Baker

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is yummy :) I don't think I can find can pumpkin here only fresh one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nothing says fall like pumpkin. I am loving these muffins!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We've had a touch of fall also. No hot weather. (???) And these are the perfect thing for a cool morning. Scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love pumpkin any time of the year. These look perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These looks perfect with a cup of coffee at breakfast..

    ReplyDelete
  12. i definitely associate all things pumpkin-related with fall, but that certainly wouldn't keep me away from some fragrant and spicy muffins! i love the sugary crust on top!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'll take your fall weather over the hot summer weather we've been having lately. And I'll take one of those delicious muffins too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is going to be hotter than poo around here, but I will save this recipe for fall! thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fall or not..these are delicious sounding muffins

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hurry up fall! My favorite season...I would love to eat a couple of these to get me into the mood!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Pumpkin muffin sounds and looks delicious...love the ingredients in it!

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!