Thursday, August 27, 2009

Five-Treasure Fried Rice ( Adapted from Ellie Krieger)

I've had this recipe from Fine Cooking earmarked to try for several months now, since I've been on the hunt for more ways to use brown rice. If you don't care for brown rice, you can sub white rice for this tasty recipe. But, I love the nuttiness of brown rice and it is so healthy so that's a big plus with me. I've been trying to add more fiber rich foods to our diet for several years now, so this recipe fits the bill perfectly. I cut the original recipe about in half, so that it would feed just my husband and myself, and then wished I hadn't, so that there would be some leftovers! So, I'll give you the complete recipe reflecting my changes of course. Ellie's recipe was written for broccoli stems, but I subbed zucchini. It also contains Edamame, but my store didn't have it, so I subbed frozen peas. I also didn't use the Canadian bacon, preferring to use some diced pork, so my husband would have more meat in the dish! It was delicious with the pork and a little more filling for him, so I hope he appreciated it! LOL, I'm sure he did!
Five-Treasure Fried Rice- adapted from Ellie Krieger at Fine Cooking
2 T. canola oil
1 1/2 cups diced zucchini ( she used 1 cup peeled, diced broccoli stems)
3/4 cup finely diced carrot
1/2 cup finely diced red bell pepper ( she used 3/4 cup)
3/4 cup frozen peas ( she used frozen, shelled edamame, which I couldn't find!)
3/4 cup corn kernels, fresh or frozen ( I used fresh)
4 green onions, scallions, thinly sliced- both white and green parts
4 ounces sliced mushrooms- my addition
2 T. finely grated ginger
2 large cloves garlic, minced
4 cups very cold, cooked, brown rice
1 1/2 cups diced pork loin (Ellie used 3/4 cup diced Canadian bacon)
2 large eggs, beaten lightly
1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
Use rice that has been cooked the day before or early in the day, so that it will be well chilled. Using fresh cooked rice will give you mush, which is not good! Put the diced pork in a small bowl with about 2 T. soy sauce, I T. oil and 1 clove diced garlic and let marinate while you chop all the veggies. Prepare all the vegetables before you begin this dish. Heat 1 T. oil in a nonstick skillet or stir-fry pan over med-high heat. Add the drained pork to the pan and let it cook and brown well; then remove the pork to a plate. Add another T. of oil to the pan if needed. Add the zucchini, mushrooms, bell pepper, and carrots and cook, stirring frequently about 3-5 minutes. Then add the corn and peas and stir about 1 minute. Next, add the scallion, ginger and garlic and don't cook very long, maybe 1 minute. Cooking the ginger and garlic too long seems to kill the flavor. Add the rice and stir until heated through. Make a 3 inch well in the middle of the pan and add 1 tsp. oil, if needed. Add the eggs and stir them until almost fully scrambled. Then stir the eggs into the rice mixture. Add the cooked pork and soy sauce; stir and it's ready to serve! This is a very delicious and flavorful dish. I love the fresh ginger and garlic in this easy meal. Since I used very lean pork, I still think this was a very healthy meal. I needed it to be a main dish and it worked very well. All of the fresh veggies made this dish and I'll definitely be making it again. We loved it!
Now, if the sun would come out, maybe my pictures will be better! I'm taking pictures on my back porch by the windows, but the sun is hidden. We are having a strange August, so far, but I'm not complaining. I like 85 degrees better than 100! Have a great day!

14 comments:

  1. I'll have to share this one with my mom; she's a brown rice devotee. This recipe sounds fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This really a balance diet meal, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lynda, this looks so good. I like Ellie Krieger's recipes. They are healthy but very flavorful and tasty at the same time. I'll have to try this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like such a delicious and healthy one-dish meal. Love the zucchini substitution too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love and cherish every ingredient. What godies you have!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've switch to using brown rice too! My kids don't even complain any more. The recipe sounds really versatile and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stir-fried rice is my all time fav. It's practical, time-saving, delicious and perfect to use up all the fridge left-over.

    Angie's Recipes

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yum, Lynda! I am definitley going to make this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love fried rice....this looks really tasty with all those veggies and the porkloin..

    ReplyDelete
  10. what a colorful and nutritious salad! ol' ellie has some good recipes up her sleeve, but i think your changes make it much more appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a delicious fried rice, the vegetables are wonderful and I love the pork addition!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a delicious fried rice! It doesn't get too much better than that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds absolutely maddeningly good! Love the toothsome quality of brown rice. Terrific blend of ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That looks really tasty! I love that it has brown rice.
    I have found that the American version of Canadian bacon is not recognizable to us Candians anyway! (Or at least not what they show on the US food network shows.)

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!