Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Salisbury Steak with Mushroom Gravy

Salisbury Steak conjures up images of the TV Dinners that my Mother fed me occasionally, and some school lunches that I ate in grade school. I actually really liked it then, but making your own is much tastier and really easy to do. This dish consists of ground beef with bread crumbs and seasonings added in. I've made my version of this dish for years, but wondered how it got it's name. It was interesting reading several different googled sites. According to Wikipedia and other sources, Salisbury Steak received it's name from an American physician, Dr. James Henry Salisbury, during the Civil War. Dr. Salisbury thought people, especially soldiers, would benefit from eating ground meat 3 times a day for different health problems. Well, I make Salisbury Steak because, it tastes good, and because it makes a very affordable and easy meal. And because my husband loves it! Here's my recipe. SALISBURY STEAK with MUSHROOM GRAVY
from Lynda's Recipe Box
1/2 of a medium onion, diced
2 teaspoons oil
1 pound ground beef chuck-80/20 blend
1/3 cup dry bread crumbs
1/3 cup milk
1 egg, beaten
1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce, or can use steak sauce
about 1/2 teaspoon salt about
1/4 teaspoon pepper
FOR GRAVY: 1/2 of a medium onion, diced
8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
1- 15 ounces can of beef broth
1 tablespoon butter
1 1/2 tablespoons flour
a couple drops of Kitchen Bouquet, if desired.
In a skillet, saute the onion in the oil until softened. In a large bowl, break up the ground chuck. Add the remaining ingredients and the cooked onion . Stir beef mixture with a fork until combined and then form into patties about 1 inch thick or so. I made 4 patties. Heat the same skillet over medium heat. Add a couple teaspoons of oil if needed, and brown the patties on both sides. (Carefully turn the patties over-they can fall apart easily, and watch closely as the patties can burn because of the bread crumbs and other ingredients).
To make gravy: Make the gravy while the beef patties cook. In a sauce pan, melt the butter and add the sliced mushrooms and diced onion. Saute until all the liquid from the mushrooms evaporates and the onions are soft. Stir in the flour and cook about 30 seconds. Stir in about half of the beef broth until the gravy is smooth, then add the remaining broth and cook a couple of minutes. Stir in Kitchen Bouquet, if using. Season with salt and pepper. When the beef patties are browned on both sides, pour the gravy over the patties, and cook, covered, for about 5 minutes, until the patties are done. If gravy needs to thicken more, cook a bit longer, or if you need to thin the gravy, add a bit of water. I served this Salisbury Steak with egg noodles this time, but we like it with mashed potatoes the best. Let me know if you give this dish a try. Enjoy!
NOTE: Kitchen Bouquet is a browning and seasoning sauce found in the grocers on the condiment isle. In my store it's next to the steak sauces.

19 comments:

  1. You know - it's just such a warming, comforting dish. Just looking at it brings me closer to hearth and home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks just delicious, Linda. I *love* mushrooms, so that gravy looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I've had salisbury steak since I was a kid...and now I totally want some. It looks so delicious and comforting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM, that is my number one favorite meal!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've only had salisbury steak from a TV dinner, so never made it, but this sure makes me want to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great picture. I love the rich dark color. I looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That Salisbury Steak looks so comforting and wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. your first line made me laugh out loud, because that's EXACTLY what came to my mind! tasty work--the tv dinner should be embarrassed by its quality in comparison to this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks terrific. I really like Salisbury steak and have a recipe of my oon for it. Yours sounds wonderful. I especially love you mushroom sauce. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now that's my kind of comfort food!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yummy! The steak looks so great with creamy mushroom sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  12. There's no way anyone could eat a TV dinner after looking at those pictures!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yummy....Just came across your wonderful blog and am a new follower!!!
    - Jessica
    http://cajunlicious.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I use the old recipe that calls for Campbells French onion soup, and it has been a favorite for years, but now I see yours, and I want this, too. Can't have enough good recipes for the foods we love :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have so many great recipes here. I made this one time. It was good but I think I need to practice more with gravies and such. I will give your recipe a go next time.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Steaks are the easiest to prepare among all meats. Tomorrow, my friends are going to visit my home and I make something special in dinner. I think steak is special for dinner because it is not something that we eat every night.

    recipes for steak

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lynda - this recipe looks delicious!! I can't wait to try it tonight. Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! We just had this tonight and to say the least, it was fantastic! We had mashed potatoes instead of noodles, but I could have eaten it without anything else! The fresh mushroom taste was divine.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm so glad that you liked the salisbury steak!! It's a great comfort food meal.

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!