Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Farfalle with Turkey Italian Sausage and Provolone

 Well, I'm back from our short, but very enjoyable anniversary trip. We enjoyed a few delightful, but very rainy days in Branson, Missouri. Branson is only about 1 1/2 hours from here so we've had many of the same storms. We've had so much rain and it's rather cool outside, but that's another story.
One of the best things about going on a trip is eating out. I loved not cooking and not having to clean up a messy kitchen. Don't get me wrong, I do love to cook, but a break every so often is something I look forward to. And now that we are back home, I'm having trouble getting back in the groove of making meals. Sigh. I didn't even have to cook for Easter. Eric, son number 1, and his wife Steff, had us over for a delicious ham dinner, so no kitchen duty that day either!
Last night I wanted something easy to make, so I used mostly what was on hand. I had gone grocery shopping and picked up some Turkey Italian Sausage and the other ingredients were items I had in my pantry.  Nothing fancy, but it was delicious and full of flavor. I browned the links of sausage in a skillet and then sliced it when cool, but you could break up the meat if you like. I used a jar of marinara, and some pasta that needed to be used, and a few spoon fulls of ricotta cheese that needed to be used. Yup, this is a pantry meal, but it turned out very tasty! Here's what I did.
FARFALLE with TURKEY ITALIAN SAUSAGE and PROVOLONE
from Lynda's Recipe Box

8 ounces farfalle, or other pasta
save about 1/2 cup water from the cooked pasta
1- 24 ounce jar of marinara sauce, or about 2 1/2 cups of homemade sauce
1/4 cup ricotta cheese
pinch of red pepper flakes
12 ounces of Italian Turkey Sausage links - or other Italian sausage or ground beef
Provolone cheese slices- or mozzarella cheese
grated Parmesan cheese

Cook pasta in salted water according to package directions. Save back about 1/2 cup of the water. In skillet over medium  heat, add 1 tablespoon oil and brown the sausage, covered for about 10 minutes, or until done. Reduce heat if necessary. Remove sausages to a plate to cool. Slice sausage into 1/2 inch pieces. Mix the ricotta cheese and the marinara sauce together in a bowl. Stir in the pasta, red pepper flakes and the sliced sausage. The ricotta cheese will make the sauce thicker, so use some of the pasta cooking water to thin the sauce if needed. Pour into a casserole dish and top with slices of provolone or mozzarella cheese. Cover dish tightly with foil and bake in a preheated oven for 20-30 minutes until bubbly and cheese is melted. Serves 4-6 people. Enjoy!

15 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great meal! Glad you enjoyed your trip even though it rained. The weather has been crazy here lately - lots of flooding & tornadoes. Most of it has been north of us here on the coast and we finally got some sorely needed rain today, but it's been rough for some.

    I do know exactly what you mean about the cooking and never ending cleaning though & I'm looking forward to our vacation to eat out and get away from dirty dishes too. Seems I am constantly messing up and cleaning the kitchen! Too bad our vacation isn't until the fall but it'll probably be here before we know it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks outstanding Lynda and Bev has the same eating out philosophy - just needs a break. I sure hope you're in an area that's missing the flooding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A good old fashioned casserole is always great. What a combo you've made...glad you wrote it down to share with us. So many times I don't write things down that I've put together with fridge and pantry leftovers and could kick myself later.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a lovely trip - breaks are important - even if you have to dance between raindrops. We are in the midst of rainy storm systems. "April showers" without tornadoes are welcome. This dish has all my favorite ingredients and is happily made with ease and would please all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm happy to hear that you had a nice anniversary celebration and easter! and i'll go ahead and say it--anything topped with a thick layer of cheese is a winner by my standards. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lynda, it sounds delicious to me. I'm so glad you enjoyed your get-away. It sounds like you had a good time despite the weather. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. The rain has been horrible these past few days. I know Missouri was in the thick of it, for awhile. Glad you enjoyed your time away. This is a great dish.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks delicious!! As do all the pictures I am seeing...I can't wait to explore further!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a great casserole with all good things in it. I love to cook, too, but you're right... a little vacation from the kitchen is nice every now and then :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now this is my type of meal!!! It looks wonderful!! :) Doesn't have to be fancy to be fantastic!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you had a nice trip! Sometimes those are the best kinds of meals...when you can use up what you've got on hand. Looks cheesy and wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is certainly gorgeous and sounds yummy! I love it when I can make something out of what I already have on hand!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad you enjoyed your trip and I can imagine how tired you must be of rain. We're getting more here tonight and tomorrow. Ugh! The casserole looks wonderful! I wish I could be as creative. I have to follow a recipe.....

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree..the best part of vacation is having someone else cook!!! Yummy dish

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!