Saturday, April 16, 2011

Lemon Potatoes

I've got to say that these Lemon Potatoes are awesome! This Cook's Country Recipe is one I'll be making often as my husband and I both enjoyed the wonderful lemon and garlic flavor that permeated the potatoes. The recipe calls for baby red potatoes because they crisp up better than Yukon Gold's, but I had 5 pounds of small Yukon Gold's in my pantry, so I didn't want to buy more spuds. The yellow potatoes do get softer after cooking, but the flavor is still tremendous. Red potatoes have lots of starch, so Cook's recommends rinsing them under water after they have been cut, to rinse off a bunch of that starch. I served these delicious potatoes along side a simple roasted chicken and a fresh green salad. It was a fantastic meal! I've made them twice now, and did use red potatoes the second time. Yes, they do getter crispier, than yellow spuds, but both taste delicious. I hope you'll try these amazing potatoes.

LEMON POTATOES
adapted from Cook's Country

2 pounds baby red potatoes, scrubbed and halved (or quartered if they are a bit larger), I used baby Yukon Golds
2 garlic cloves, smashed- I used very large cloves
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 cup low sodium chicken broth
salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest
2 minced garlic cloves- I did not use these
2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley- I didn't measure, just chopped some

1.Rinse the cut potatoes in a colander under running water. Drain potatoes well.

2. In a large nonstick skillet, add the chicken broth, smashed garlic, lemon juice and about 1/2 teaspoon salt and the potatoes. and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and cover and cook for 12 to 15 minutes, under just tender. Remove the lid and increase the heat to medium. cook potatoes until all the liquid evaporates., about 5 minutes.

3. Add the 2 T. olive oil to pan. Discard the smashed garlic. Turn potatoes to cut side down, to cook until deep golden brown. Turn carefully if need to brown all sides. Cooking time is maybe 6 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the parsley, lemon zest and the minced garlic ; ( didn't use minced garlic).
Season with salt and pepper and serve. These potatoes are so addictive! I made a half recipe for just my husband and I, and we ate them all - and we were not ashamed. Enjoy!

NOTE: Don't use more potatoes than your skillet can comfortably handle. Since the potatoes need to crisp, they must be able to lay cut side flat.

13 comments:

  1. Another good recipe to try. My husband and I don't eat potatoes that often, but this would be wonderful for a dinner party. Very elegant. I will come back later to get the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lynda, I HAVE to try these. My mouth is watering just reading the recipe. Oh my gosh, I just want a big pan of these all to myself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been on a lemon kick - it seems to brighten my day. I need to try these - both comforting and spring-like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These lemon potatoes look great. I'm always looking for new ways to cook my very favorite comfort food!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll bet the flavor of lemon with the roasted potatoes is amazing...love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've bookmarked this recipe. I adore potatoes and am always on the lookout for new ways in which to prepare them. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those look yummy, I am always looking for new potato recipes and I love lemon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a sucker for potatoes, especially recipes like this. What a great idea to use lemon...would never have thought of that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Came back to get the recipe.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. regardless of the type of potato used, this preparation is gonna be delicious. tasty work, lynda!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds very good. I like lemon with potatoes - it seems to really perk them up!

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!