Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Honey Mustard Chicken Breasts

 I was going through a box yesterday and found this recipe, written on a piece of paper and I have no idea where I got it, but since I needed a fast dinner idea, I decided to try it. I love honey and mustard together, so it couldn't be too bad. I made changes, of course and ended up with a delicious weeknight meal that was made even better by topping it with fresh chives from my garden. My chives actually survived our harsh winter and now it is humongous! The chives gave this dish such a fresh, delicious crunch. Green onions would do the same thing. The sauce contains sauteed onion, but I have left it out of the recipe as it is not needed. But don't leave out the fresh chives or scallions. I cut back on the flour too as it thickened the sauce too much I thought. Also, the chicken breasts were lightly floured, but they would still be good browned without it. So, if you need another quick, simple meal idea, give this Honey Mustard Chicken a try.
HONEY MUSTARD CHICKEN BREASTS
adapted from an unknown source

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/2 cup flour, seasoned with salt and pepper
1-2 tablespoons oil or butter
2 teaspoon flour
1 -15 ounce can low sodium chicken broth
3 tablespoon Dijon mustard
3 tablespoons honey
salt and pepper to taste
thinly sliced fresh chives or green onions

In a skillet heat the oil or butter over medium heat. I used 1 T. olive oil and 1 T. butter. Lay each chicken breast between plastic wrap and pound with mallet to an even thickness, about 3/4 inch.  Season chicken with salt and pepper and then flour lightly in the 1/2 cup flour. Shake off excess flour. Brown chicken in skillet, about 3-4 minutes per side. Remove chicken to a plate. Add the 2 teaspoon flour to skillet; stir and cook for about 1 minute. Add chicken broth to the skillet; increase the heat to a boil. Whisk the flour and broth as it cooks, scraping up all those yummy brown pieces in the pan. I cooked it for about 3 minutes. Whisk in the Dijon mustard and honey and simmer until slightly thickened. If the chicken still needs to finish cooking, lay the pieces back in the pan and cover. Cook for a couple of minutes, or until done. Season sauce with salt and pepper if needed. Serve with rice to soak up all the tasty sauce. Garnish with chives or green onions. Enjoy!

NOTE: The original recipe contained 2 tablespoon each of mustard and honey, but it needed more. You will need to taste the sauce to get it right just for you.

12 comments:

  1. This looks delicious and simple.... I must try them! Thanks for the recipe Lynda! Have a great Easter!

    Mandy

    www.learn-laugh-cook.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honey-mustard enlivens so many dishes - just a natural for chicken. Our chives are 2 inches high (time to start cutting) and I am itching to use them - this is the perfect dish for my "first day with chive" cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Linda!Nice to meet you and your blog, what an amazing & tasty place!I love your recipes, I’m a meat’s lover and you cook it very well, yummy!This chicken breast with bittersweet flavour should be great!I’m an Italian foodblogger, come and see my page whenever you want!See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so easy and delicious. I am trying it for dinner tonight. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This really sounds delicious,. It is easy enough to be a family meal but fancy enough to also use for guests. Now that a good recipe. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks wonderful! (I have one of those "boxes" too - okay, it might be a "few" of those boxes LOL!)

    Hope you have a beautiful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love honey-mustard anything and think it goes especially well with chicken. This looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just wanted to let you know. I did make this recipe for dinner last night. My family liked it. Yum!
    I didn't have the green onions or scallions, so I just put chopped parsley over the top. Next time I will try it with the green onions.
    Bon Apetit!

    ReplyDelete
  9. there was a time when i would order nothing but chicken fingers with honey mustard sauce whenever i went out to eat. it was a phase, but i still love the combination! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh YUMMERS!! A new and delicious chicken recipe. I eat chicken like 4x a week so this will be much appreciated!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks great. Mustard is one of my favorite seasonings for chicken. I'm enjoying looking at all of the wonderful photos on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Choices, I'm glad your family enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!