Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Watergate Salad

I'm sure just about everybody has this recipe for Watergate Salad somewhere in their possession. It's been around since about 1975 when Kraft developed it and named it Pistachio Pineapple Delight. My Mother made this often for Easter dinner and also around the Christmas and Thanksgiving holidays. It is still a popular salad where I live. It shows up in about every church pot luck and many salad bars here. It is sweet; more of a dessert salad really, but it is easy to throw together and lasts several days in the refrigerator. I love the different textures in this salad; the creaminess with the crunch of the pecans and the tang of pineapple. This is another oldie but goodie recipe! Hope you enjoy..

WATERGATE SALAD

9 ounce carton whipped topping- Cool Whip
3 3/4 oz. package instant pistachio pudding
15 ounce can crushed pineapple in its own juices
1 cup miniature marshmallows
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Fold dry pudding mix into whipped topping. Add canned pineapple and juice, marshmallows and chopped nuts. Mix gently and refrigerate. Serves 6-10

7 comments:

  1. The first time I ever had this was at a potluck supper but had no idea what it's called. For years I just called it fluff salad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never heard of it. Where have I been? If it has pistachio pudding in it - I am there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My grandmother used to make this when we'd go to visit her. I never really cared for it, but ate it so I wouldn't hurt her feelings. What I'd give to have her here to make it again. I'd eat a bowl full just for her :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. lynda, this marks the first time you've posted something with which i'm unfamiliar! it sounds guiltfully (new word!) appealing though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karen, this was not my favorite growing up either, but I always ate it. My husband adores this salad, and I've learned to like it as well! How we change!

    Grace- gasp! I can't believe we don't have this in common! :)

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!