Saturday, November 28, 2009

My Mother's Chicken (or turkey) Pot Pie


I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving! If you still have turkey leftovers, this Pot Pie would be a good choice to make. This is similar to my Mother's Pot Pie. I say similar, because she did not use a written recipe, so I've had to write one so that I could pass this on to my kids. This was one of my favorite meals when I was growing up. My brother and I came running to the table when we knew this delicious Pot Pie was on the menu for dinner. Most of the time Mom used chicken for this recipe except at Thanksgiving when we had turkey. She always used Bisquick to make the biscuits on top, which is an easy choice of topping. That's what I used this time because I was lazy! But, of course you can use your homemade biscuit recipe in its place. Or use a pie crust topping, if desired. It will taste delicious either way. Likewise, my husband and kids
love this dish! When my kids were little, this was one of the few meals that everyone would eat. I had a couple of picky eaters, so when the weather is cool, this Pot Pie has been a staple in my recipe rotation. It's hard to pass up such good comfort food! I'm submitting this recipe to Shelby, of The Life and Loves of Grumpey's Honeybunch and Laura, of The Spiced Life, for November's Family Recipes, Memories of Family, Food and Fun. Be sure to check out their blogs for other submissions.
MY MOTHER'S CHICKEN (OR TURKEY) POT PIE

3 cups cooked, shredded chicken or turkey
3 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup flour, plus 1 tablespoon
1 cup diced onion
1 stalk diced celery
2 1/2 cups chicken or turkey broth
1/2 cup milk, or you may use more broth, if desired
16 ounces of frozen vegetables, or use an equal amount of leftover veggies
salt and pepper to taste-I used 3/4 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp.pepper, but it will depend on whether you use canned broth or your own broth.

TOPPING: Either use your own biscuit recipe, or use about 2 cups of Bisquick and mix according to box directions.

This recipe is easy to adapt to what you have on hand. I used mixed, frozen vegetables, but you could also use peas and carrots or even add mushrooms, if desired.
In a large sauce pan, melt the butter over medium heat and saute the onion and celery until soft. Stir in the 1/4 cup and 1 tablespoon flour until smooth. Pour in the 2 1/2 cups broth; stir until combined and bring to a boil. Simmer until thickened and then cook a couple of minutes. Stir in the milk and bring back to simmer. Now, add the frozen vegetables and turkey. Mix well and add salt and pepper to taste. Pour mixture into a 3 quart baking dish. Stir up the biscuit topping and place tablespoonfuls on top of potpie. Bake in a 425 degree oven for about 10 minutes, or until the biscuits are done. Enjoy!

27 comments:

  1. This looks really delicious-I am going to have to try this. I also love the dip recipe in your previous post. I have just discovered the Barefoot Contessa and love her shows. I am so glad I found your yummy blog!
    Best wishes, Natasha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love potpie! Great leftover recipe. :-)
    Thanks Lynda!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh it looks wonderful. So elegant for leftovers, a sure winner in my book. I love family recipes that are passed on, and usually the good ones they never measured :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks wonderful and loaded with veggies goodness Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, yeah, this looks soooo very homey and good. Oh my gosh, I am CRAVING your pot pie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmm... this pot pie sounds so comforting and delicious! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can see why this is a family favorite. It sounds delicious and it's a great way to use leftovers or a deli-chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your pot pie really makes me hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, looks delicious : )
    Too bad I don't have any turkey leftover...

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a terrific way to recreate Thanksgiving leftovers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lynda, your mom's pot pie is comfort food at its best! I can see why you & your brother were so glad dinner was ready.

    These are the types of family recipes that need to be written down and passed on to other generations & friends. For it is these recipes that help define a period in history and our culture. Many thanks for sharing your mother's wonderful recipe...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I guess moms are like that, they don't ever write the recipes of the dishes they cook. My moms like that as well but I also take note of the recipes of the dishes she teaches me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. this is a terrific item... Love the idea of using the bag of frozen vegetables that always seem to grow...

    got this on my possible list, I have one turkey breast left... so many choices

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the recipe. Adore pot pies - a stand-by from my youth. I keep frozen vegetables to add to everything.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My kids love pot pie too! I've never made it with turkey. I'll have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nothing says "Home" more than a pot pie!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have always loved pot pies!!! Yours looks and sounds super comforting...and delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mmm, chicken pot pie - a big hug in a bowl!
    Yours looks so fresh and tasty too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. nice, lynda. such a colorful dish, replete with tasty leftovers and an awesome biscuity crust. deliciously done!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That sounds amazing, I am a bisquick gal all the way! It must be a comforting meal!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This sounds wonderful! Your picture has my belly rumbling! Delicious recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Pot pies are great for leftovers and yours looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is my kind of comfort food - it looks creamy and so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Saw this over at Grumpy's Honey Bunch! I've been wanting to make a chicken pot pie with a biscuit topping... thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  25. No wonder why you family loves this dish, it's the all time ultimate comfort food! Yum, so creamy!

    ReplyDelete
  26. i have a favorite chicken pie recipe which i havent made in a while - you've inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am not the biggest pot pie fan in the world but your photo seriously had me drooling! Great submission!

    And thanks again for hosting this month!

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!