Monday, November 9, 2009

Cranberry Apple Relish

Thanksgiving isn't far away and I'm planning my menu. We will only have a few at the table this year, but I still want it to be special. I love dishes that can be prepared a day or two ahead so that the day of the dinner I don't have so much to do. Cranberry Apple Relish can be made a couple days ahead of when you plan to serve it. This is a very simple relish with only five
ingredients! It can't get much easier, or more flavorful! Tart cranberries are cooked with apples and cinnamon to make a quick but delicious relish. I originally found this recipe in Country Living magazine, but I've changed it some. Hope you enjoy!

CRANBERRY APPLE RELISH- from Lynda's Recipe Box

1 12-ounce package fresh cranberries, picked over
1 1/2 pounds sweet cooking apples, I used Gala (about 4 medium), peeled, halved, cored and sliced
1 1/2 cups apple juice, or water
2 -3inch long cinnamon sticks, or 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 cup sugar, or more (to taste) ;I used close to a cup
In a large sauce pan pour the apple juice or water and the cinnamon sticks. Bring to boiling over high heat. Add the cranberries and cook until most of the berries pop. Stir sugar and apples into cranberry mixture and return to boiling. Remove from heat and discard cinnamon sticks, if using. At this point, it's important to taste the relish to see if you need more sugar. The original recipe was not sweetened, relying upon the apple juice and apples to add enough sweetness. But it needs sugar, so I start with the half cup and go from there. Even with this amount of sugar, the relish will still be on the tart side. Also, the apples will cook just enough to be tender, but not mushy. Cool to room temperature and transfer to a covered container. Refrigerate. This simple, but delicious relish will thicken when refrigerated. My husband and daughter love this relish because it has only a few ingredients. Apples and cranberries, with cinnamon, are just perfect together and are delicious on the holiday table. Do you like cranberry relish?

10 comments:

  1. Lynda this is taking cranberry relish to another dimension. At Thanksgiving, I like to serve several cranberry sauces, so this one will definitely be added to my table. Many thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so perfect for the holidays with the apples, cranberries and cinnamon! Plus it looks gorgeous the way you have plated it. What a show stopper on your holiday table!

    ReplyDelete
  3. a lovely color for a terrific side! apple and cranberries are great together, as are apples and cinnamon...and cranberries and cinnamon, for that matter. delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, Lynda, does this every sound good. I think I may have to make this my regular cranberry relish recipe. I LOVE the use of apple juice in this. YUM YUM YUM

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! Bookmarking for Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A wonderful addition to anyones Thanksgiving table

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the combination of flavors in this! It looks like a fun, unique dish for Thanksgiving. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really a nice relish idea- I've never combined apples and cranberries. What a striking photo too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am loving this - adore cranberries with apples - perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lynda, what a wonderfully seasonal recipe. This looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!